Quietest air pump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
That's the question.

While I don't use one full-time, I do find myself using them occasionally, so I thought I should at least buy a good, quiet one. All I have are a bunch that came with random packages. They're noisy, and vibrate enough that they just sort of move around on their own.

sapphire384

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
Buffalo, NY
i own an airwhist pump. its very very quiet. so quiet i honestly cannot here it running from my position at the desk, where i am two feet from the machine.

too bad they are not made anymore.

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
I have two Rena air pumps, and they're very quiet. I've also heard good things about the Whisper air pumps, but I've never had one myself.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I created a similar thread before. It seems the general consensus is that, smaller pumps are quieter and older pumps do get louder as they age. I had Hagen pump with two outlets - it was not quiet. I have a used Rena 300 pump which is also not quiet but it is old. Someone said Rena pumps are very quiet so it must be quiet when new. Someone said Tetra $10 pump was very quiet.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
The new whisper air pumps are pretty quiet.

gunsnfknroses

AC Members
Jan 25, 2009
The smaller Whisper air pumps are quiet. But dont get the Whisper 100.
I have two of them and they sound like a humming transformer on a light pole.
But they put out some serious flow.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
ive heard bad things about the whisper ones that they sound like a coffee grinder for your fishtank....

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
I had read here and other places that the new Whisper air pumps were quiet so I got a couple, the ones that have an arch shaped base that only touches on the 4 legs. My old Rena pumps were audible so I thought maybe. Once I had a Whisper hooked up and running, I became acutely aware of just how quiet my old used Rena still was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store