New SW setup, newbie too

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Recently setup a SW tank in a 36g corner tank with a Fluval 305, 1 Koralia #2 powerhead (to start) and two Nova Extreme 2x24 fixtures, 460/420 & 2 10k bulbs.

I only started with 15lbs of live rock and 15lbs of dry rock, used argonite for substrate & the store gave me maybe 3 cup fulls of their gravel to 'seed' my tank.

My question is, on a freshwater tank, if you can get gravel or filter media, it almost instantly cycles your tank. Will this seeded gravel they gave me, basically cycle my tank instantly or will it still take some time? The LFS does not sell Live Sand as they said I would inherit whatever issues the grow tanks the manufacturer may have - they said the chances were low something bad would be in there, but they said I should just play it safe...I obliged..

I'm going to be buying another 15lbs or more of live rock/base rock today and adding it right away. I haven't purchased any testing kits as I'm already 250 deep into this without buying a skimmer yet but they said with 5-10 gallon water changes once a week I can get away without one until I add fish several weeks from now.

Also, the store offered me water straight from their clean tanks if I wanted to help speed up the cycle.

Last edited:

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Was the gravel actually gravel, or crushed coral?

The live rock will help uot with the cycle more than anything else will . .. Adding the extra 15 lbs will certainly help speed things up (provided your rock is already cured)..

No need to buy live sand either, as your live rock will eventually seed your sand and make it "live".

What I woudl do is the following:

Buy a raw shrimp (the ones we eat), wrap it in a filter sock (or pantihose) and place it in your tank.. Leave it there for a few weeks (maybe 2-3).. This is an easy way to fishless cycle your tank. Ideally you'd want to test yoru water for ammonia and nitrites every couple of days, but, if it's not in yoru budget just yet, call your lfs and ask him if it's OK for you to bring him a sample of your water and have him test it for you.

hopefully he will.

What are you using yout fluval for? Wha kind of media is in it?

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
They suggested to use the Fluval for the extra water basically as I am sump less right now and it's providing a little more water flow. I wouldn't mind completely removing it, the hoses are ugly and it's just cumbersome to have. I already had the Fluval so it was suggested just to toss it on the tank. It's currently empty as for media, they just said it won't hurt to run it for more water volume.

They gave me argonite substrate, definitely wasn't crushed coral - they said they don't carry it. Also what they gave me to see was the argonite they had in one of their big display tanks.

My LFS only has cured live rock that they establish in their display tanks and eventually put up for sale. the 15lbs I bought of live rock is covered in coraline.

BTW, the Hydor #2 powerhead I have is obnoxiously loud and the impeller rattles. I hate it already!!

Last edited:

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
BTW, the Hydor #2 powerhead I have is obnoxiously loud and the impeller rattles. I hate it already!!
I've got a #4 that when it starts up it rattles a bit but then settles down. Take the front off and make sure the impeller shaft is in the hole on the front screen. I've gotten in a hurry and put it back together, missing the front hole and it will rattle you out of the house.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
They suggested to use the Fluval for the extra water basically as I am sump less right now and it's providing a little more water flow. I wouldn't mind completely removing it, the hoses are ugly and it's just cumbersome to have. I already had the Fluval so it was suggested just to toss it on the tank. It's currently empty as for media, they just said it won't hurt to run it for more water volume.

They gave me argonite substrate, definitely wasn't crushed coral - they said they don't carry it. Also what they gave me to see was the argonite they had in one of their big display tanks.

My LFS only has cured live rock that they establish in their display tanks and eventually put up for sale. the 15lbs I bought of live rock is covered in coraline.

Ah, good stuff... it seems like you're getting good advice from a reputable lfs shop.

you're off to a great start... Try to post up some pics of your setup!

As for the powerhead, as greg said, make sure the shaft is lined up... It shouldn't be rattling at all.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
As for the powerhead, as greg said, make sure the shaft is lined up... It shouldn't be rattling at all.
It's real easy to put together and the shaft be out of the front hole, and they look right.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I'll def take that powerhead apart and see if I can get that shaft lined up.

The LFS store is dedicated SW only and they've been awesome, but regardless of how great they are and how deep of a resource they are, it's always nice to have a second opinion.

I have a picture of my setup, but the water was still cloudy and I didn't really do any scaping since I don't have anywhere near the amount of live rock & base rock I intend on having yet. Hopefully tonight I will acquire another 15lbs atleast tonight. I noticed the live sand they gave me from their tank was loaded with snails & such, but I haven't seen them move since I placed everything in the tank.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I took the powerhead apart and after several failed attempts it finally quieted down.

The tank is now 3 days old with no detectable ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Also added another 8 pounds of cured live rock from the store owners tank. So I have roughly 24lbs of liverock and 15lbs of dry rock. I've only found 1 hitch hiker and I believe it came from the second batch of liverock. Found a fingernail sized starfish looking creature on the glass this morning. The lfs said I could attempt a cheap soft coral frag for under $10 but I should continue to wait a few weeks for any fish and til I can afford a skimmer. I'm hooked!!!!

I know nothing about corals yet and didn't buy anything to start. I really like the mushroom polyps but they suggested I get more experience before I spend money on those. I've yet to acquire any testing kits of my own yet, but I think I may just leave it up to the lfs since I can get their advice instantly should anything be alarming in the results!!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Pic is from a camera phone.

Haven't seen the starfish or the fireworm yet today but the tank is finally crystal clear.

It's getting hard to resist the urge to add anything. I think I may try a small coral frag today for cheap and see what happens - after I have the water tested again.

tank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store