Topwater Schoolers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greg Curtis

Cichlid Lover
Feb 24, 2006
Virginia USA
Have a 90g Pleco tank and would like to add some color with schooling fish on top. Was thinking some kind of small tetras perhaps glowlights, cardinals, bleeding hearts. Any suggestions?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
White clouds are better if you want them actually closer to the top, tetras tend to stay lower- or mid-level in tha tank. Otherwise, don't overlook rasboras when you go scouting for new fish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Most tetras are mid or lower tank schoolers. Try Hatchets or smaller Rainbows.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Hatchets while not the most colourful fish, are super cute and really are top dwellers. You really do need to have a completely covered tank though.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
Most tetras are nervous and skittish sometimes, and so tend to stay in the lower levels. Danios? Mine tend to swim at the bottom about an hour after feeding time taking the corys and shrimp's food so you may not want these. Hatchets, and white cloud mountain minnows are a good choice, stay in the upper region 99% of the time. They are nice and small too.

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Danios tend to stay on the top, and their wicked active...

Like Fish on Crack.

Every movement is in a different direction, they don't really ever 'hang'.

Great if you want a super active tank.

The only time mine ever went to the bottom was before dying of old age. They ignored sinking pellet food.

pugwash

Able Seaman
Mar 16, 2005
Land of Augusta
Golden Wonder Panchax (1m;3f)? Larger than Hatchets (at 4") and don't just 'float' on the surface....although if you had room for hatchets and some tetras that would look great - certainly have a soft spot for hatchets :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store