What am I doing wrong?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Well I have a 55gal. with sand substrate. I have 4 albino cories, 10 har. rasboras, a bristlenose pleco and two baby angelfish. I have a couple of little plants that a friend gave me and also a medium clump of java moss. Anyways my little plants keep comming out of the sand (prob. because of my pleco) and its kinda making me mad. Also I don't really see any growth at all. I have only one side of the tank planted with lights over it. I have 2X55watt. 6500k CFL. over the planted side. Like I said I don't see much growth, its only been a week but I figured with these lights they would grow good. The tank was just recently moved and the sand is completely new. The java moss is starting to get white fuzz all over it and the roots of the plants that are exposed from being disturbed are getting white fuzz. I have a pressurized CO2 system but I'm having a hard time getting it setup. I just bought a washer for it today but it doesn't fit of corse. Plus I don't really think my solenoid is working right. Anyways...does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
One question, first: what kind of plants are the "couple of little plants?" They might not be fast growers. It probably is the bottomfeeders knocking them loose. Can you surround them with a few pebbles to keep the roots from being disturbed for a few days?

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Yea I could do the pebbles thing. I'm not sure what the plants are. I know I have java moss, some water sprite, and wisteria. The other things I'm not sure about. One looks like a java fern but a little bit of a leaf is turning yellowish. The water is still not completely clear so maybe that doesnt help?

colinsk

On the fringe...
Dec 18, 2008
Ca
www.designerinlight.com
Once the water sprite takes hold it is a fast grower. Mine only needed light and a little undisturbed time. Within 3 weeks it was growing out of the water.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
hmm....maybe mine will grow. The plants that I did get from a friend were little plants that wrere floating in her planted tank. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not...I mean the plants have like 3 or 4 little leaves each.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Does your sand contain nutrients? My experience with Wysteria has been that it is very slow to get going again after I trim off and replant the tops, but after several weeks it is back to its usual self, growing like a weed. It's really a nice plant. I found that as it matures, it can produce lots of aerial roots, and will sometimes abandon its terrestrial roots altogether. An excellent link (which unfortunately I do not recall) describes this as normal, healthy behavior in mature Wysteria. It can become unsightly, however, so if you don't mind the extra work, I recommend cutting and replanting the tops when its time to prune.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Plants need acclimation time more so than fish. Not necessarily temp and ph acclimation, but just time to get used to your tank.

No idea what is knocking them out of the substrate.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Thanks guys, I just figure the Bristlenose pleco because she swims around the tank like shes in a race or something. I just have pool filter sand and I'm getting a back case os green spot algae. I maybe getting 3 Nerite snails from another member on here so hopefully they will take care of it. I have noticed that when the plants get up rooted that it looks like their roots have grown some but as far as actual plant growth I don't see any in some plants and very little in others. I can try to post pics but with my camera the white sand really screws up the pic.

Also my tank water is still cloudy. I can see through the tank by looking through the sides but its still got that haze to it. I've done alot of water changes and I guess it keeps getting better but not much. My fish are looking like they are breathing hard. I put a air pump in the water just in case they need more oxygen. If my fish can't hand the oxygen levels now, how will they handle when I get my CO2 started? Its really only my two baby angels and my dwarf gourami that are gasping. Everybody else seems fine.

Plus my angels won't come out into the open water of the tank. They keep hiding behind the driftwood. I love them because they are a beautiful zebra color and one is a veil, but they wont come out so I can see them. It might be because the light is to bright for them. Or they are just scared from all the action in the tank. IDK. Thanks!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i'd hold off on the c02 you may not even need it. i wouldn't expect to see any growth in the first week. it takes time. i don't really see that much growth in my tank which i planted a couple months ago, but when i compare it now to pics i took when i planted it, then i see that it's growing well. i suggest you take pics and compare in a few weeks. my water sprite is growing like crazy. i planted it in a coconut shell half with some soil and gravel. it it about six inches taller than it was and looks like a totally different plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store