MUDSKIPPERS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
hey...just a question about mudskippers...me and my husband just had a 3 hour talk about the fish...yeah seriously..lol and about getting them a bigger tank and all. i showed him threads here and pictures and he really didnt know goldfish got big (these are his first fish) so he agrees that we need to get a bigger tank and since that might be feasable soon...income taxes...dont you love em? he is really considering a 75 gallon that matches the one we have now..anywho...he was asking ..."i only just bought you this tank, and now you want to rid it and get a bigger one? whats next!?" understandably...then he seen a post on mudskippers...asked what they were and i showed him....oh boy ...chuck is in mudskipper heaven...soo the question is...instead of doing it all wrong..i want to know what raising these lil guys consist of...and most importantly, the tank we have now is a 20 ex high...that means the bottom is smaller...so i didnt even know if it will work...if THAT wont work ...can you let me know what will work..? because he is sitting here right next to me telling me to type all this and that if our tank dont work then he'll find a way to get one that does....HAPPY CHUCK? DANG! ...that was for him btw....so anyways any information would be helpful....thanks

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
this should be in the brackish forum, you should ask a mod to switch it there. thats where all the skip lovers hang out :D

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Talk to Mokomon and Sploke. They both have slightly different approaches but both have great ideas and successes.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
I've been tracking these fish threads for awhile, I've never kept them, just in the research phase, some hints for looking: during searches in addition to 'mudskipper' try 'skippers' lots of threads here pop up that way. There are some great info links here on AC in various posts if you search those 2 terms.
Oh, yea, the youtube mudskipper videos are fun too.

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt

GuiltyPleasures

AC Members
Mudskippers are great, they need brackish water and places to climb out of the water, so make sure to have some piled up rocks or a slanted bottom of sand where there is land and water. I have two african mudskippers in a 20 gal tank piled with rocks and a turtle dock. They are doing fine and have at least doubled their size since I got them almost a year ago. They love blood worms, night crawlers, raw shirmp, and crickets. I put most of their food on top of the rocks and driftwood in the tank and they climb up and grab it. They are very fun to watch and cute :)
They need the water temp a bit warmer than reg tropical fish, so I keep their tank around 80 degrees. I hope this helps you some
Rene

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Mudskippers are great, they need brackish water and places to climb out of the water, so make sure to have some piled up rocks or a slanted bottom of sand where there is land and water. I have two african mudskippers in a 20 gal tank piled with rocks and a turtle dock. They are doing fine and have at least doubled their size since I got them almost a year ago. They love blood worms, night crawlers, raw shirmp, and crickets. I put most of their food on top of the rocks and driftwood in the tank and they climb up and grab it. They are very fun to watch and cute :)
They need the water temp a bit warmer than reg tropical fish, so I keep their tank around 80 degrees. I hope this helps you some
Rene
I have a mudskipper also and am going to pick up a second one. Do you have any pics of your tank?

vombatus

AC Members
Keeping mudskippers is surprisingly easy. If you get the little Indian mudskippers, you can keep a few in there. Frank at http://franksaquarium.com says you can keep 6 in a 20 long, so I would think you could keep 4 or 5 in a 20 high. I have 6 in a 20 long and they're fine. The more places you give them to perch the better, but they're so small they only need little things to hang out on, like leaves on a fake plant, little pieces of floating bark, or even your filter. I keep them with mollies and ghost shrimp, on extra fine aragonite sand, with a standard heater and a submersible filter. They are really hardy. I don't change their water on a regular schedule, maybe once a month, and the SG varies but is very low, just higher than freshwater. I feed them once a day, sprinkling dried bloodworms and/or tropical flakes on a few of their perching spots. Sometimes I give them frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms instead of dry food, they'll munch on it from my fingers until it melts enough for me to leave it for them. If you have any more questions, ask me! They're wonderful pets that will amaze you every day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store