5 gallon lighitng options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Ok so my girlfriends little brother got a 5gallon tank setup for christmas and we had it all setup nice untlil we had a bad ice storm and his fish died. Anyways so we set it back up tonight and I was thinking...alot of people on here have 5gal. planted tanks and I was just wondering what those peoples setup were. My gf's bro found some scrap wood that is almost perfectly the right size to make a little canopy. We just need a top peice but that won't be hard. Anyways what kind of lighting options do I have. I want this to be a little planted tank...we could even do DIY CO2 but no ferts. Also he wants some moonlights. I was thinking that prob. getting some flor. light strips would be easiest but I didn't think it would be enough light...plus any room to put whatever moonlights we can get. You guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
do I need one or two? I know that the WPG rule doesn't really apply to really small tanks. How would I go about getting a fixture(s) for the spiral CFL's and would it be easy to wire them up to like a botton to turn them on and off? What about two bottons...one for the lights and one for the moonlights?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
1 should be fine. you could also use some normal CFLs

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Find an online fish store look at what they have including parts for lights then buy at lowes.. CFL's work good on small tanks use LED's for moon light. Never buy when you can build

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Find an online fish store look at what they have including parts for lights then buy at lowes.. CFL's work good on small tanks use LED's for moon light. Never buy when you can build

Thanks. I plan on building it, but I was wondering like how much light do I need? Are you guys talking about the flor. strip lights or like the sprial CFL bulbs that just go into a light socket? Maybe if the tank is wide enough (which I dont think it is) I could just put two of those in there and stuff. Or I can just get two flor. strip lights if needed.

About the moonlights...I'm not sure how to make those. We might have to buy them. I'll look on the internet about how to make cheap DIY moonlights.

Thanks guys!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Walmart sells a flourescent light that plugs into incandescent sockets in their pet section. I run them in my five gallon tanks with good results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store