To all Rena XP owners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
About a year ago I purchased a Rena Smart filter from Petsmart for my 46 g bf.
It ran OK for a couple of months then began making noise which was almost unbearable.
I called API (Rena) and told them of my problem and they instructed me to send the unit back and pay $26 for postage both ways.
I didn’t hear from them for about a month, so I called them. The rep told me that they
couldn’t find documentation about the return. So I told the rep that I’d send a copy of the
USPS postal insurance receipt. A couple of days later, I got an email that they were having trouble finding the unit that I had returned and asked if they could replace it at no charge. I responded, yes but with an XP 2 unit.
WELL, THEY SENT ME AN XP 2.

It worked fine for a couple of months but then started “spitting air” out of the spray bar.

I inquired on several forums and got several answers about resolving the internal leaking
problem.
I printed the responses and tried them all except one which I found this afternoon.
In that response, it stated that the leak was in the intake neck near the top and that person
fixed it by using electrical vinyl tape which is aquarium safe.
It explained that sometimes there is a minute crack in the neck of the intake tube.

I took some vinyl tape and taped from the hose to the top where the priming cap is.
WALA, no more air leak.
I still can’t see a crack or where the leak is coming from
but it is stopped.
One thing for certain, I DON” LIKE THE WIMPY HOSE CLAMPS
THAT RENA SENDS WITH THE UNIT.

I thought about using automotive hose clamps but I was afraid of cracking the plastic inlet and outlet tubes to the filter.

Last week I ordered a new set of seals and O-rings from PlanetRena.
Now I’ll have spares should I need them.

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up on my Rena XP air leak.

I love the Rena XP 2, when it works without leaking air but I admit that is the only canister I own.
Charles

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:thumbsup: One of a few somewhat 'handle w/ care parts' that the XP's have. Good fix with the tape. A bit surprised about API cust. service. The few times I've dealt w/ them in the past 6/7 yrs. have been nothing but excellent. 2 in warranty & 3 out of warranty miscues were handled promtly & professionaly. If you do decide to change the clamps (I did), just don't tighten them like you would on a water pump :lol:. Glad things worked out. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store