biowheel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

69steveo69

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
My biowheels stopped spinning and I cant get them to start again. Any Ideas? They will spin freely when i push them but the water wont spin them. I have no clue.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
What filter? If it is the Emperor the spray bar might be plugged. If it is any other you may have something in your pick-up tube reducing water flow. You may also have something wrapped around your impeller. Disassemble and thoroughly clean then reassemble. Pay close attention to the impeller and the impeller seat (hole).

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
Try cleaning the little ends that fit into the slots to hold it into place. Maybe they got gunked and just need to be cleaned... or the slots themselves. Use a qtip to get in there.
Another thing to try is... are your biowheels very dirty, cause if they are, maybe they are stopping it from turning with the water. try cleaning it a little bit and putting it back on.

69steveo69

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
I am using a Marineland Panguine. I will take it apart in the morning and look at it. The biowheel is not very birty at all. I dont know if it is my immagination or not but it seems like the flow is reduced.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Checking the water flow is the first best remedy. Thoroughly clean the filter. While doing so let the bio-wheels float in the tank so that they stay wet to maintain the beneficial bacteria. The wheels should never need cleaning no matter how "gunky" they get unless it stops them from turning. (The "gunk" is a build up of beneficial bacteria that you want to keep).

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Chances are its dirty... this is the problem with bio-wheels.. they are really great untill the wheel stops spinning and turns your bio-media into a nitrate factory

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
This is common, and is expected to occur. I have been using bio-wheels for years and mine often stop for long periods, or spin intermitently. Other times they will spin increadibly fast.

Certainly inspect the unit and remove any debris, but I have never had a need to 'clean' my bio-wheels in 4+ years

Lastly, if concerned test your water (as I did when this first happened to me), and record any parameter changes. I never saw any. ;)

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Chances are its dirty... this is the problem with bio-wheels.. they are really great untill the wheel stops spinning and turns your bio-media into a nitrate factory
Biomedia is a nitrate factory. Nitrate is the end point. A turning biowheel will produce just as much nitrate as any other.

Unless I'm missing something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store