AquAdvisor - software to help you stock your tanks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Don't hold your breath yet - its far from being ready but it sort of shows you how messed up my brain is these days. Its a simple prototype really. I've been writing this in my spare time (which I seriously lack to begin with!) and I have not written an application for 9 years. I wrote this in a language I never tried before either... LOL.

Here's the page where you can download it if you have an hour you can waste... :D

http://aquadvisor.synthasite.com/

It basically allows you to specify your tank dimension, select number of fishes for each species and it will tell you how much stocking room you have left. I only have 13 fishes in the list but obviously I can expand that further if the concept is sound.

Basically I try to suggest stock levels based on the surface area of water, size of species at adult stage, and what I call "bio-factor". This defines how dirty each species are in relation to their size. Obviously Plecos take the prize here!

Many many things are not taken into account but I hope I can tackle those as well, such as aggression factors and water chemistry compatibility factors.

Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Well, I can't download it since I'm on a shared computer, but that's a great idea! I can see where it could really help beginners out.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
That's awesome! What language did you write it in? I'm a programmer too :D, mostly Java, some C#.

I can't get to the site at work, but I'll definitely check it out when I'm home.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
That's awesome! What language did you write it in? I'm a programmer too :D, mostly Java, some C#.

I can't get to the site at work, but I'll definitely check it out when I'm home.
9 Yeas ago, I used to code in c/c++ and Pearl. Little bit of Java too. This baby is written in C# so technically its not completely new. It appears to be very similar to C++ so the learning curve wasn't that bad. But it is my brain that no longer thinks like a programmer does... :D

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
9 Yeas ago, I used to code in c/c++ and Pearl. Little bit of Java too. This baby is written in C# so technically its not completely new. It appears to be very similar to C++ so the learning curve wasn't that bad. But it is my brain that no longer thinks like a programmer does... :D
Cool, I've been learning C# as I go at work, but it's not too different from Java. Let me know if you ever want some help. I went only a few months after graduation without programming and it took me a while to get my brain back into it, I'm sure 9 years is worse!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I can haz 63 fish in a 39 gallon??? dont know if that right or not???

View attachment 83892
Wow you installed it already? Nice to know that it is installable... :)

I may have underestimated their size or "bio-factor" in some of these species. After all, these were derived based on my own experience only. Additional feedback like yours will help improve the accuracy...

That tank does have a huge surface area though. That is not your ordinary 40g tank... In fact, close to 75g tank in footprint...

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Cool, I've been learning C# as I go at work, but it's not too different from Java. Let me know if you ever want some help. I went only a few months after graduation without programming and it took me a while to get my brain back into it, I'm sure 9 years is worse!
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store