Need Glass Canopy Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I guess I have a retarded 55G tank. It's a regular 55G with the center brace.
When I got the tank I bought the light/hood combo, and the lights only take a 15W bulb each. I wanted to up the lighting a bit so I got a real good deal on a 3 year old new-in-the-box All Glass Aquarium strip light that takes a 40W bulb. Happy, happy..... not happy! I tried both the All Glass brand of glass canopy for my tank and tonight I brought home the Perfecto brand glass canopy. Before I left the store with the Perfecto, the salesperson slipped one of the canopies on one of the 55G tanks in the store, and it fit just fine. On both sides, for both brands, the glass is just a tiny bit wider than the lip on one side, so it will not sit flush into the lips.:mad2: Has this happened to anyone else and is there really anything I can do to make it fit?:cry:

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
You'd figure that one of the two major tank mfgrs. tops would fit, but if your new one is just a little wide you could probably take it to a local glass shop and have them grind the glass down just a bit.
Andy

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Iwould make sure the hinge is all the way on and Str8 as well as the flap across the back mine are all a tight fights

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Problem solved! I called a glass shop to ask about trimming them down and he asked me to find out if the canopies were regular glass or tempered glass. So I called Marineland/Perfector customer service. I was advised that PetSmart sold me the wrong ones for a 55G tank. The 24" glass canopies I bought are not designed to be put on a 55G tank with the center brace. I have to buy the 48" glass canopy which actual comes in two pieces designed to fit my tank. So I then called PetSmart to advise them they sold me the wrong ones....and I asked them which ones were correct....so even though I've already thrown one of the boxes out, they are going back! They don't even carry the 48" canopy, so I'll get it somewhere else.

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
You can also try pet solutions. The run a lil cheaper then DrFosters on somethings... No I have nothing to do with them I just have had good luck in all my dealings with them

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store