Power was out, now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuZZiZZiT

the geek shall inherit the earth
Oct 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Due to an issue with the power coming into my house my canister filters were without power for between 2 and 12 hours while i was at work. Power is back now but is it safe to just start up my filters again? Did the bacteria in the canister "Spoil" somehow?

Fortunately the tank is unoccupied right now but i was just about done fleshless cycling it and now suspect i'll have to start over.

Thanks

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
They should be fine. It takes longer than 12 hours to ruin it.
Are you sure? I was told that bacteria in a filter die out in 30 minutes.

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
If bacteria in a filter dies in 30 minutes then I've killed mine more times than I can count. How big is your bio filter? I guess if you had a super tiny filter they would not survuve long (maybe).

Since your tank is empty, fire it back up. If it were stocked, I would toss the water that the bio media sat in for all those hours and then refill it with tank water and restart. Canister filters can get pretty toxic if left without an oxygen supply.

Best wishes!

GuZZiZZiT

the geek shall inherit the earth
Oct 4, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm running a fluval FX5 and an Eheim 2128. I dumped the water in them right now and turned em back on. I guess we'll see what happens, worst case i have to restart my cycle right?

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
I accidentally left my canister filter off after cleaning it once, .....for two days!!! until I realized it was off, oops, My cories were trying to tell me something and hunting me down on the side of the glass. Its a red cherry shrimp tank w/5 cories. No one died, very surprised, but its a low bioload

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it should be fine
you can monitor just in case, if you feel the need.

I had a planted tank with angels , black neons and a BN with no filter for 3 days(planted ) I checked it after 2 days when I turned the filer on.. no issue.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store