ever notice the diff. in 'stats' for fish from site to site?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Prometheus

Luke 22:35-36
Nov 3, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
For example

Bala Shark
from liveaquaria:
Bala Shark
(Balantiocheilus melanopterus)
Quick Stats
Tank Conditions: 72-79°F; pH 6.5-7.5; dH 10-15
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 10"

from aquariacenteral:
Max Size:
14"
pH:
Neutral
Temperature:
72-82° F.

This isn't one of the hugest differences, I saw another bala report from elsewhere (forget the site) that had different 'extreme' ranges as well.

How can I tell which is the closest to what I need? Not necc. for Bala's but other fish in general?

I want to get some Blue peacocks, but can only find info on the from liveaquaria, how do I know that these stats are right...
Blue Peacock Cichlid
(Aulonocara nyassae)

Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-82°F; pH 7.8-8.5; dH 10-15

:confused: :confused:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Checking with other people that have the fish is one good way. See if the sizes listed are for the fish in nature, or the fish in the aquarium. Natural sizes should always be the goal, IMO--otherwise, the fish is stunted. You will frequently hear people say that the fish NEVER get that size in a tank, but if you look at tanks that are obviously large enough or cared for properly, the fish do attain a bigger size than those kept in smaller tanks, with poorer water quality.

For my purchases, I err on the side of caution. If it looks like it might be a close thing, I don't get the fish. Or I get a bigger/another tank. ;)

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
In general, any information you get from online resources is an approximation. I would say that in 90% of cases you are getting statistics for fish in captivity, which is often far different than their natural tendencies. For example, you could probably find three different sites that give you three different minimun tank sizes, three different max sizes, three different diet preferences, etc... I do not want to come across as an online fish database "anarchist", but it is best to take such info. as guidlines rather than rules. It is always best, in my opinion and I am sure in most people's, to treat the information you find as a bare minimum (concerning tank size, fish growth,...)- if you see a minimun tank size of 55 gallons, that is probably going to be just fine, but know that it is a generalization. Your particular fish might outgrow that tank, or it might not (This is probably much more true for larger fish, and I assume that specifications become more divergent as you look at bigger species). Obviously, experience is the best guidebook, and online resources are a great starting point. I would say, and if anyone disagrees with me please feel free to say so, that if you are worried about getting "false" or inaccurate info. from the web that the best thing to do is talk to your pet store and see what their experiences are with the particular fish you are concerned about. I do not know much about the blue peacocks, but Im sure people on this forum do and that your lfs will too. hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Qualifying the above to a trusted LFS who has experience with raising the fish, not just selling them, I agree. Otherwise, LFS are not always a reliable source of info. I have heard poor LFS tell customers that oscars (yes, plural) will be fine in a 10 gallon tank. Some LFS employees may have never seen the fish at adult sizes.

Prometheus

Luke 22:35-36
Nov 3, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
Originally posted by OrionGirl
Checking with other people that have the fish is one good way. See if the sizes listed are for the fish in nature, or the fish in the aquarium. Natural sizes should always be the goal, IMO--otherwise, the fish is stunted. You will frequently hear people say that the fish NEVER get that size in a tank, but if you look at tanks that are obviously large enough or cared for properly, the fish do attain a bigger size than those kept in smaller tanks, with poorer water quality.

For my purchases, I err on the side of caution. If it looks like it might be a close thing, I don't get the fish. Or I get a bigger/another tank. ;)
Size is a smaller concern on my part, for example when I first bought Bala Sharks, my LFS said a 30 would be fine... Anyway, I moved them into a 55 2 years later (about 6 months longer than I anticipated), and if it wasn't for the 'unfortunate incident' they'd be moving into a bigger tank yet again...

My concern is over: pH, kh and temps ect. ect.

If I want to keep, lets say balas in a tank with another fish that requires a pH of 7.5 and 82 degree temp (medians) I'd be at the extreme or beyond extreme range listed for balas from site to site...

Thats cutting it close, esp when most places balas aer listed at a neutral pH and 79degree max. temp (some at 82)...

FWIW, I try to rely on large sites, that also have sales / forums ect. rather than joeblowsfishies.xyz

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Yes, there are lots of different stats on fish - I've seen countless discussions on Bala sharks on the net. Kribs called perfect community fish for 20g's, Oscars work well as pairs in 20 g's, cardinals work best in salt water etc. I am continually amazed at what can be found some places though I guess we can be thankful of the dedicated and knowledgeable aquarists we generally have here at AC :)

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I get most my info from http://aquaworld.netfirms.com
I believe the site owner has owned all the fish he/she has provided infromation for.

The information is also more in depth, actual explanations of the fish instead of quick stats.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
if I have a scientific name on the fish I check fishbase.net for what they have to say about the fish as well... some times even the scientific comunity takes its max measurements from subadult fish unknowingly but generally that site is pretty good

one caution though it is a huge, gigantic, enormous database and takes abit to load even with cable internet

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Several points of discussion deserving a bit of thought:

Most FW fish are quite adaptable to water parameters within the so-called normal ranges of pH 6.5 to 7.5 plus or minus a bit. Fish naturally occuring in extreme conditions (very soft acid water or very hard alkaline water) may well need such conditions for breeding (egg membranes are much less adaptable than the fish). Most other fish "care" more about space and compatability and water quality than exact parameters.

On space and size, most hobby sites report individual histories from hobbyists experiences. How often do you see comments on Clown loaches growing slowly? They don't if properly housed and fed. They are mostly stunted in captivity. Or how often do you see folks saying they will move the fish to a larger tank when needed. IMHO and IME, the larger tank is needed from day one. How is the hobbyist to know when the larger tank is needed? When the fish can no loger turn around?

Koi keepers know that their captives "need" 5' depth to develop normal body configuraton. FW tropical hobbyists need to know that an 8-10-12" schooling fish is not going to be "normal" in a 3-4' tank with two conspecifics.

Certainly I don't always house fish properly, but if I am underhousing a fish, I want to be aware of what I am doing incorrectly. The older I get, the larger my tanks get and the smaller the fish kept in them.

Alway go with the wild size and house fish by that scale at least, and do everything you can to keep the water stable and clean first and much more importantly that matching the pH, KH, and GH of the native water.

All JMHO & IME, YMMV.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store