3D Background Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
I have a pangea 3d background in my tank. Unfortunately, I cut it too much width wise, and the fish can swim in the back.:headshake2: Basically, there is a two inch opening on each end of the background.

This presents a problem. The smallest discus in my planted tank hid(was getting bullied) in the back so much that he never got fed. He just died. I can't fit the net behind the tank and I am worried about it affecting the other fish.

I'm also worried that if it's not decomposed by the time I move(one month) that it will cause some problems. Should I just let nature run it's course? It seems that I have no choice since I can't get back there. Keep in mind this is a 6 inch fish.

Lastly, I feel like there is no way to prevent these fish from going in the back. It makes me want to get rid of the tank(72g bow). I have thought about dividers, but the wholes on the side are slighty big and uneven. Any thoughts.

It is a beautiful background, but it is causing me some headaches.

4 month old pic.

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
Come on! lol

I'm moving soon, any opinions?

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
do you have any long tweasers? or scissors maybe? i would even resort to bending a wire hanger to try to get it out...i def would do a lot of things before just letting it rot away in my tank. the tank is fairly small to just let a fish of that size decompose...
just my thoughts

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I can think of a couple options...

1- Drain the tank and patch the holes with Silicone

2- Put big rock piles in the corners

3- Mesh with java moss?

4- Take the background off.. and paint the back of the tank (on the outside) or put a photo-background on it (or plain paper/plastic)

as far as getting the fish out I dont really know how.. but I would recommend trying-- hes pretty large and with nothing to eat it you could have nitrate issues

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
Well, I've tried everything to get it out. It's not happening. I will do two water changes this week. I'm sure the fish will be fine. The tank is overfiltrated heavily(eheim canister and coral life UV).

As for the holes, I think am going to try a large rock pile. Wish me luck. It seems that no matter how small the hole, a fish will try to fit in it. lol

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i wish you the best of luck then
btw, i would try doing a water change every day or every other day with fish that big decomposing, but thats just me
;D good luck

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Get a siphon going with a smallish hose, then siphon it up so it gets stuck to the end of the hose, and lift it out.

When you are breaking the tank down to move I would silicone the background so fish can't get back there any more.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Maybe take out the background long enough to remove corpses at least? Some sort of netting or eggcrate could probably be used to close the areas off to fish.

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
It isn't much of an option to remove the background. It is siliconed to the bottom of the tank. I mean, I could break everything down and take it out permanently, but I paid $200+ for it. So I'm going to try and block off the openings first.

I managed to get the fish out though today, after playing around with it for a 20 minutes. I am going to get landscaping boulders, and try and block the wholes like that. My only concern is arranging them in a way that there is NO chance that they will fall over.

This shall be interesting. lol Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store