Getting in new sulawesi shrimp today

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
And boy am I nervous!!! I naturally have hard water (ph of 8.0, gh of 8, kh of 9-10) so i have had to alter it a bit to get the parameters where i *think* they need to be. i am getting in brilliant bees, no scientific name provided. I have set up a 20g long with about 16g of tap water and 2.5 gallons of distilled in order to achieve a ph of 8.0, gh of 5, and a kh of 7. its still a little on the high side for kh. These shrimp supposedly appreciate a pH of 8.2, gh and kh of 4-6. I am hoping this will work out. so far, i do not have it decorated beyond a piece of porous rock and am adding some indian almond leaf litter as well. it cost me a fortune to import these guys so everyone cross your fingers they arrive alive and that i can keep them that way!! I will post pics once they are here and acclimated. If anyone is keeping these shrimp, please shout out the params you have had luck keeping them alive and hopefully breeding. Any relative experiences are welcome!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
No Experiences, but good luck! Im sure they will be happy in their new home!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
From what I've gathered TDS is more critical than the pH. If you don't have an electronic meter to measure TDS the next best thing is to test the GH. You want the tank water to be higher than the shipping water, not lower (identical is very unlikely in any case) to prevent osmotic shock.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Good luck! I hope they survive and you can breed them. Glad you were able to find a reliable source for them.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Good luck Rach!! I will follow this--show me subscribed.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Did someone say new shrimp? Can't wait to see them. I'm sure you will provide the best home for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store