Will Old Driftwood Lower the PH ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends,

I have an old piece of Driftwood (Branch Type Piece) that I had in a Tank 1 year ago. When I added the piece to that tank, it initially developed some fungus, which cleared away in a month. After that I sold the tank and the driftwood was just lying around for almost an year now.

Now, I want to add it to my Brichardi Species tank in which I've used Crushed Argonite / Coral as Substrate (to buffer and keep the pH high)

Just wanted to know if this Driftwood will still lower my Tank's pH (even though its old) or is it safe to use it in my tank. Basically I dont want it to alter the pH of my tank...

Kindly guide me...
Thanks and Regards
Kush

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the only real way to tell is to test it.

you don't have to place it in your tank to test. you can submerge it in a bucket and test too.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I think you will be fine with the buffers you have in your tank. As SR said, the only real way you know is to test it.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Unless its a pretty big piece in a smaller tank I dont think you have a lot to worry about. It takes a lot of wood to soften water to any degree.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
No worries, the aragonite will be more than enough to counter any effect the driftwood may have on pH or hardness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store