Hair Algae AGAIN??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've already had my case of hair algae, link here

And I think it is back!!

Can anyone help me figure out if this is hair algae, or not, and whether there is something I can do about it.. I already removed that first plant from the tank that had it, and I do not want to have to do that again.

Lighting conditions are 1x65watt bulb stays on for 9 hours a day.. (CF 2x65watt light), I turned off the one directly over the plants and turned on the one on the other side the other day so that they do not get TOO much light.

Water params as most recently checked are:
ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25ppm (way closer to 0)
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5-10

Please help! :(

IMG00102.jpg

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
you cant do anything about that until you get some co2 going in that tank. With over 4 wpg, you need pressurized co2 and probably some additional spot treatment with flourish excel.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
you cant do anything about that until you get some co2 going in that tank. With over 4 wpg, you need pressurized co2 and probably some additional spot treatment with flourish excel.
Currently I have DIY CO2, but it's not producing very many bubbles, would a DIY CO2 work if I upped the bubbles per minute? I also have flourish excel, I will dose that today.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I just added a second DIY CO2 device, this one I made about a week ago, just a bottle, a hose leading into the tank. Used 1.6oz sugar, 1 pint water, pinch of yeast.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Pudge, is that enough to increase CO2 in that tank? What size is it?

Those plants look like vals, and I don't think Excel works well with them, they'll melt, that's what I've heard.

Do you have a powerhead in that tank to keep water circulation moving?

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Pudge, is that enough to increase CO2 in that tank? What size is it?

Those plants look like vals, and I don't think Excel works well with them, they'll melt, that's what I've heard.

Do you have a powerhead in that tank to keep water circulation moving?
I have a 29g tank, right now there are 2 DIY CO2 going on, hopefully it helps, and yes they are vals, I forgot about that, that's why I stopped excel! DOH!

I do have a power head, should I point it towards that plant do you think, or just allow it to circulate the tank?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I doubt you get enough Co2 to keep up with that much lighting. I have to use 3 bottles on my 30 gallon with only 2wpg. I started getting hair algae and GSA until I added the other bottle. The hair algae is still lingering a little on the slower growing plants (crypts mainly)...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just Co2 in my case. I was already using the EI dosing method and I actually cut back on KH2PO4 because I am already dosing KNO3 for nitrates. Not sure if the decreased potassium made a difference though. I'm thinking my Co2 levels were fluctuating too much. It's no where near gone though so I guess I'll have to see how this goes...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store