Gravel separator? Decorating new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SunsetPisces

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
Kane County, IL
Hi, All,

Guess I AM well and truly hooked, cause we bought a 29 gal for my bday. I have a notion for landscaping it that involves mostly natural colored gravel, with a small artificial "stream" wandering the length of the tank, with special blue gravel or flattened glass marbles (or both, for sparkle). Any notions on what to use as a channel to keep the different gravel separate from the rest of the tank?

This is my first attempt at anything like real aquascaping, but I have landscaped our last two outdoor yards, including a hummingbird, goldfinch and butterfly garden in our current location. They are great fun to watch. Due to a back condition, I can no longer garden, so my aquarium will be my new outlet for the "decorating with plants" bug. I have always loved fish.

We live in the Chicago area and there's not much to do outside from Dec. to April, anyway. I am big on native plants and perennials that serve multiple purposes, so I am excited about the tank. Lot to learn.

I have a male powder blue gourami and a pair of little corys in a five gal Eclipse hex from Christmas and they are doing fine. I would love to breed some fancy guppies in the bigger tank, and definitely want some Kuhli loaches. Wouldn't mind little blue gouramis, but have not been able to find a female locally.

I have received a lot of help and guidance from you, some from reading existing info and posts, and some from a few very patient individuals. You are a positive and helpful group and I really appreciate your input. I never realized a hobby could be so much more fun with someone to share it!

Thanks a million -

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A tall bead of silicone is a good option. Or score and break thin sheets of Plexiglas that are the width of the depth you want. Silicone them in place standing on their edge. Very flexible to make the bends and twists of a stream.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Plexi-glass is always a good way to go.

And for something like this, you can use very thin material.

Maybe something like this...

View from above:

This idea uses a sheet for the base, with strips glued to it on edge.
Makes for easy removal, if you want to change your set up.

And with no need to have a water tight seal. You can use a hair dryer to warm the plastic, for tighter bends.

I like to use acrylic glue. > > > http://www.rplastics.com/weldon16.html
A drop of this stuff, here and there. And you'll be set.

Then some silicone where it meets the aquarium side, if it needs it.

Mindcrime121

AC Members
Nov 2, 2008
Willows, California
Where could you get sheets of thin plexi suitable for this purpose?

SunsetPisces

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
Kane County, IL
This would be great if I felt I could work with plexiglass! My idea was to take a background with a small waterfall (either aquarium background or laminated art print, cut to size) and created the "stream" of colored stones as a visual extension of the base of the waterfall. An off-center waterfall would be best.

Fell in love with a print by James Coleman called "Peaceful Pause" which shows a bridge over a lily pond with very nice use of light. Mostly dark blues and greens. (I think he might create backgrounds for Disney, too). Since my tank measures 30"l x 18"h, I can reduce the standard 24x36 print without losing too much of what I want. Hopefully Kinko's can laminate that. With the right 3D decorations and some fish with floaty fins (light colors against the dark background and gravel) I am hoping the effect could be ethereal. Plants too, of course. If I succeed I'll get a photo.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
This would be great if I felt I could work with plexiglass!
There isn't much to it really. It's just plastic.
And sense your not building a sump or something that needs to be water tight. You can get close enough, and it'll work. ;)

The hardest part will be breaking it sense your strips will only be around 2-3 inches wide.
Just do alot more scoring with the knife(link below).

I'm not sure what they sell at lowes/home depot/harware stores these days. I bought my first peice at a Home Depot yrs ago. Back then, they would make a few cuts for you, for free. The last time I went, yrs ago. They had stopped doing that service.

Most likely anywhere you can find the stuff, you can also find one of these.
http://www.craftics.com/cp000015.htm

If you do the ebay thing. You might be able to find stuff on there, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store