Olive Nerite Larvae stage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WRAragon

Rene
Jan 29, 2009
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
I was just wondering it anyone has any idea how long the larval stage of the Olive Nerite lasts until they become snails? I have a lot of eggs and most have hatched now I have at least a hundred larvae hanging out in the algae on some artificial plants. So I'm hoping they make it out of that stage. I found a little information on the Olive Nerite but not much about the breeding cycle. So any information about this would be awesome if anyone knows. Thanks!!

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
They need both full saltwater and full freshwater to raise them. They need to beswapped in and out of both. They need algae in the freshwater tank, and something else in the saltwater.

I heard this from someone else, and hopefully someone can explain it better than me.

Good luck!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The difficulty in raising nerite larvae is feeding the critters. In nature they're swept out to sea and the usual 1 in 10,000 will survive. In an aquarium you have about the same odds from what I've read. You could try some sort of green water culture, or buy phytoplankton cultures used for SW inverts. IMO more trouble than it's worth though.

WRAragon

Rene
Jan 29, 2009
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys! So anyone know how long the larva stage will be? I have semi brackish water like 1tbsp to each gal I think. They hatched for sure already. I only have one snail but was with 40 something others before I got her. Not sure what type of water she bred in but the eggs have hatched for certain. If I had a microscope camera I would try getting a picture. They are living in the algae so I suppose they are eating. Anyways. I guess we will see what happens. It would be awesome for them to make it but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thanks again.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I read somewhere that hardness is more important than salinity for hatching the eggs.
Interestingly enough, I heard something quite similar recently, that what really mattered was that the veligers be in calcium-rich water. That does seem to make sense, or at least coincide well with the fact that other species that can breed in freshwater also require hard, calcium-rich water. It could also explain why some people only have success breeding them in saltwater, since it naturally contains more calcium than freshwater.

..and I have no idea how long the veliger stage lasts.

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
you can simply add a calcium pill in right at the larve , see if they eat on it , and it would help with thier hardness for a little while , just make sure no really rare plant is right beside then that needs full soft water ... woudl love to see ho wthis gies for you , as I have seen many eggs, never any babies ... keep us posted !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store