Red Pike Cichlid opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patrick5874

125 gl cobra snakehead
Dec 2, 2002
md
Visit site
Red Pike opinions please !

I am looking into getting a red pike for my 120 gallon tank
what do you think about him ?

any help with keeping him safe ex/ food ,ph salinity etc.....

thanks
Patrick

spartyblaze

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I've kept a fair number of pikes and grown to love their inter-tank relationships. I've mostly kept orange and mixed pikeez, but I'd suggest getting a few little guys - or in the case of my lfs, as many as you can afford, and let them pair off - their breeding activity is usually pretty fun to watch, and IME you can house a fair # of mid to high range swimmers, without too many casualties.

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
Hi
I have some c.johanna pikes (often called "red pike") ,they are "kinky" whith the food,mine only eat alive fish,and shrimps.they have never take for.ex pellets,atleast mine fish.Their behivour is very thought,aggresive,on their own kind.On a scale 1-5,and 5 is the hardest level,i say 5 whith two fish or more,only 0ne i say 3.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have an orange pike who is a vicious killer, hence her name: Eater. ;)
Eater thinks anything and everything that goes into the tank is food especially for her (except for the 12 inch Midas whom she doesn't bother). She's killed and tried to kill several other fish. Amazingly, her diet consists mostly of pellets. She dines on Cichlid Staple along with everyone else in the tank. During feeding time, she runs around biting everyone because she's so excited about getting fed. She's got blood lust like a shark. J/K.
Even though she is a meany (I like them mean anyway), she is a really cool fish. One of my favorites! And she's absolutely beautiful in color, body form, everything. When she's hunting live foods, all the stripes on her back stand out against her orange color and she goes on high alert. Pikes are just plain cool to keep. I wish I had room for more.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I have to appologize, my first post was a bit curt. I just get incredibly frustrated when people ask for help yet have no idea what they actually need help with.

OK, now that's out of the way... I have to agree with Nippy. Pikes are awesome fish! I have 5 different species at the moment. :D

Assuming that your Red Pike is Cr. johanna plan on it growing to 12"+. I have found pikes to be relatively benign to other fish if they can't eat them... except for other pikes! Pikes are typically only really rough on other pikes. They are pretty intolerant of each other. That doesn't mean that they are pussy cats with other cichlids though. They will stick up for themselves and their territory. Typically, given enough room they are good tankmates. Nippy, I wonder, what size tank is your pike and RD in? I'm guessing 90 gallons or less based on your description of their behaviour. Large fish in tight quarters are more likely to lash out and act in such a manner.

Water parameters for Cr. johanna should be soft, slightly acidic and as sodium free as possible. 78º-82ºF would be a good temperature range.

Large, frequent water changes and excellent biological filtration are required to keep the tank as free of disolved metabolites as possible since many of the large Lugubris group pikes are susceptible to HITH and poor water quality seems to contribute to the problem. Water high in dissolved minerals seems to play a role also. Hence the soft, acidic water recommendation (not to mention this simulates their natural habitat).

Diet should consist of meaty foods and foods high in protein. I have found that most pikes will eventually eat preparred foods. It may take some doing but it can be done. I currently have 3 Cr. acutirostris eating Marineland's new pelleted food. These three pikes were swimming in the Amazon less than two months ago. I supplement the pellets with beef heart, frozen krill, frozen blood worms and a product called Emerald Green which contains some greens (a little added fiber to flush out the digestive tract every few days doesn't hurt ;) ).

Give them adequate space, good food and good water quality and you can expect something like this:

Here is also an excellent article on the giant pikes of the Lugubris group:
http://www.cichlidnewsmagazine.com/issues/oct2000/giantpikes.html

Hope this helps!!
:)

Number2

AC Members
Oct 31, 2002
Whistler, BC
Nice pic!

Mind if I post the pic as my work computer background?

<sigh> But for a house to have a giant fish tank and a couple of pikes....

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
is that your fish? great fish if it is! I have never really liked pikes but I htink I might try one in an empty 45 gallon I have. is that tank big enought fo one, or are they like oscars?

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
marcus!
Have you ever keept,johannas? If you has,did yours eat dryfood like pellets?I have try and try and so on,but they ignore it.Living fish(i have a breedingroom) and they acts like sharks,when i put in some bigshrimps in bits,they must look very carefully at the shrimp,like shall i or not eat it,then after a minute or so,they decided to take a bit,then spit it out two or three times and then swallow,I think some crenichichla are hard too eat ordinary fishfood(dry) mine fish are wildcaught.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store