Glo-Fish = Danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Glo-Fish are a strain from Danios, are the Danio eggs injected with a gene from jellyfish or are they naturally there?

gfp_embryo_320.jpg

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
The first fish were injected with it or their eggs were, I'm not sure, but only they were. They are now bred like that. If you breed two glofish you will get more glofish.

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I'm sure when they were first "creating" the glofish they injected and experimented with the danios a lot but now the dna has been altered and they (supposedly) don't mess with the fish anymore, they're just born all radioactive now.

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
Whichever way it happen, I still think it s*cks!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
They breed true to the parents' colours, no injecting required, now. They're still below severely deformed, dyed and tattooed fish on my shopping list, though.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
I wouldnt mind buying them, although I STRONGY DISAGREE with died fish. I know how the glofish has become what it is and the consequences of the genes, which causes no harm to the fish.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I wouldnt mind buying them, although I STRONGY DISAGREE with died fish. I know how the glofish has become what it is and the consequences of the genes, which causes no harm to the fish.
I never buy died fish - they're already dead. But as far as dyed fish go, I don't buy them either. :D

As far as doing no harm, I don't think there has been enough life cycles to call that factual just yet. Who know what the long term consequence is and they are now fish that can no longer be turned loose into the wild. So what happens to the ecosystem when some moron turns them loose?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store