Husband needs help picking fish for his 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
OK, Hes setting it up to cycle tonight. But he has been very indecisive as to what he wants. He is deploying to Iraq in about 5 months, so it has be be something simple enough that I can care for it alone (keep in mind I have a 55, 25, and a 5 running right now, and a 5 year old and 8 month old kids..) So It cannot be anything that needs super high maintenance, picky water etc... He like cichlids, and brightly colorful fish, (He also likes them BIG) So Any advice???:help:

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
you could do a Rift Lake tank... put some malawi cichlids in there

yellow labs, zebras, kenyi, acie etc

they are low maintainence once the tank is going (at least mine is)

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Hmm... simple setup, simple maintenance, large colorful fish... What if you went for one of those minimalist, almost-bare-tank setups with just one large fish? It could be dramatic, but still understocked which would make maintenance a little easier. And no compatibility issues.

But don't listen to me---I'm a n00b. Just brainstorming. :)

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
mbuna tank all rocks and bright fish, crushed coral substrate to keep the ph up above 8... simple tank to maintain if ph drops toss in a spoon full of bakin soda

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
5 Angels?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Single Green Terror.Colorful,large,and can handle a wide range of water parameters.All the African cichlids people have suggested,are all very colorful,but don't really get all that big,and really are not at all low and easily maintained for a beginner to that type of fish.Angels with some smaller schooling fish and schooling bottom feeders like corydora and otocinclus,would be a good simple plan as well.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
What is your water like ? That will help with what kind of fish would do best.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
55 can handle a nice school of congo tetras! large and colorful and active!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store