leak test & freezing nights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I need to leak test a tank outside but it gets below freezing at night & while warm this weekend it's still winter here. Will it wreck the seals? Can it stay outside empty after testing a few days full?

Or should I wait for warmer weather? I don't want to have to carry it down to the basement again & there isn't a good way to test indoors.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep.......:)

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I need to leak test a tank outside but it gets below freezing at night & while warm this weekend it's still winter here. Will it wreck the seals? Can it stay outside empty after testing a few days full?

Or should I wait for warmer weather? I don't want to have to carry it down to the basement again & there isn't a good way to test indoors.
Well.. how big is this tank? What kind of condition is it in? Are you reasonably comfortable that it's going to pass a leak test or doing this to find out where a leak might be?

This is probably rotten advice for me to give anyone, but I live in an apartment where there IS no basement, no garage, and nowhere I could do this outside. I ended up having to leak-test a very large tank indoors if I was ever going to have this thing setup at all. I happen to have two large wet/dry shop vacs, if need be, and knew I could rent a blower to dry out the carpeting. Made sure everything was unplugged in surrounding rooms and then just filled it. Let it sit like that for 48 hours to make sure it would hold.

Don't know if that's an acceptable risk for you to take in your home, but it is another option.. albeit, not a very sensible one.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Kashta - you daredevil, you! The tank in question is one that Fishorama might be trading to me, and I certainly wouldn't ask her to risk flooding her house on my account. If it would fit in a bathtub or something, maybe, but otherwise no.

Sounds like it's best to just wait. It has been warming up, so hopefully it won't be too long. :)

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Kashta - you daredevil, you!
LOL.. I know. I was worried about it, too. But what else could I do?

I should probably add that to our confessional thread - worked for me but might not for you. lol.

In my defense, I was very careful about it. Filled it up 1/4 of the way and waited a few hours before filling it to the half-way point. Waited again before going all the way.

............ Fishorama could always test this in your house, then? :evil_lol:

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Fishorama could always test this in your house, then? :evil_lol:
Oh, I'd be all for it! I'm an apartment, too (well... sort of...) and have no place outside, but I have a giant stock tank in my pantry (long & funny story) that I could set it in for testing. The problem is that it's several hours drive between the two of us, so I'm hoping to test before we meet up.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was more daring in apartments too :evil_lol:. But I'm more careful when I'd have to fix or pay to fix things now. Much less gravel down the drains ;) but I've found hardwood floors are more water tolerant than I'd thought:Angel:
My "fish bathroom" tub seems too curved for all but small tanks, no stock tank, :screwy: I think we need to hear that story

Once it gets to cellodaisy's house it's staying :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store