Nipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

june2000

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Portland, OR
I just noticed one of my cardinal tetra lost 1/3 of his (her) tail fin. We just cleaned the tank on last Friday with 40% PWC. (0, 0, <10)

It is hard to believe to have fin rot and/or fin nipping in our community tank.

Size: 36G Bow
Fishes: 2 Male Guppies, 9 Rasboras, 5 Neons, 2 Cardinals
Parameter: 0, 0, <10 (Very Clean)
Setup: 4+ Months,
Recent addition: Rasboras (Over 2 months ago)

Neons and cardinals have been scholled together well and do not have any issue so far.

I'd like hear opinions from the experienced hobbyist. (If needed, I will upload some pictures when I get back home.)

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Is their a piece missing, or torn, or split? It wouldn't be unheard of certainly, especially from the guppies IME, albiet rare.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Yeah, it easily could have been the Guppies getting excited. In almost every case it is innocent and not much to worry about. It's probably just from being too horney. I have found that if I keep 3-4 females per male, this stops.

just watch out for secondary infections, but your water is reading perfect! :thumb:

june2000

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Portland, OR
Thank you!!! CT

That' is the only possibility I guess. We just separated male & female guppies due to increasing population around 2-3months ago. :) Two male guppies are usually actively swimming / chasing each other. But they don't bother tetras or rasboras.

I do not want to put the injured cardinal to QT tank because QT is very busy with 12 corys. :) He swims fine and eats well. Do I have to move him to QT?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Even though your parameters sound great, i would just increase water changes to aid in the regrowth. i would not isolate the cardinal unless you need to treat for secondary infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store