Clowns with ICK help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
Hey, I woke up this morning and both of my clowns definitely had ick.-- They seemed to acting sick and not swimming around as much. Currently they seem to be doing alot better and swimming around more and so i'm thinking the ick may have temporarily fell off of them. I got a bottle of ICK Attack from my local pet store earlier today and it says its reef safe and everything.-- The guy there also told me to remove the carbon in my filters which I did before adding the ICK attack. So i'm hoping this will keep it under control and it won't come back and my clowns will stay healthy. Any other ideas on anything I should do to ensure the health of my fish? Thanks a ton!!!

skiptomyzoo

looking for large tank
Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
I'd move them to a hospital tank and do either hyposalinity or copper. With these treatments however, your main tank can't be your treatment tank, bc of the corals. (and inverts such as shrimp if you have these too).

I've never used ick attack, so i can't comment on that, but the lfs guy is right in saying to remove the carbon.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I've had good luck in the past with Quick Cure which is a formalin/malachite green concoction. However, I used it in a quarantine tank and not in the main tank as it would nuke pretty much any inverts or corals etc. My advice would be to set up a hospital tank and treat as the bottle recommends. It's easier to track changes in each fish and keep the tank clean (especially after feeding) when you have a bare bottom hospital tank.

That being said, if you can't get them out of the tank one of the best indicators of how they're doing is whether or not they're eating. If they're eating try soaking their food in Selcon or a similar vitamin enhancing product. Also, make sure to keep an eye on water quality and keep the water as pristine as possible to give them as much of a boost as you can. Good luck! Hope you have better luck than I did this weekend with my battle against Brooklynella...

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
I have used "ick attack". My yellow tang had it when It was in the QT when I first bought him. It's allot slower then the copper treatment and I would suggest you use up the whole bottle. My QT is run all the time and I had some hermit crabs and snails in there and ick attack had no effect on them. Good Stuff IMO
By removing your clowns to a QT you will be able to iradicate the ick from your tank. As the free swimming ick needs a host or it will die out. Other wise your clowns may get the ick again when they are under the weather so to speak.
Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store