Aquarium Safe paint?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Is there such a thing? I'd like to make my own little nuclear waste barrel for my tank. It is kept in my dads office, and he is a nuclear physicist. Unfortunately, I can't find one pre-made...

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Krylon fusion should work.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
...Really? It won't leach or flake? I just figured stuff like that would be poison...

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Really. I'm sure there are other options, but it's the only thing that I've personally used. No issues after a year...

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Wow. I figured I'd have to buy some kind of weird special paint. I looked around a bit on google, and it looks like you're right. They also suggest coating in epoxy after painting, just to add more protection, so I think I'll do that.
Sweet.
:dance:

mattskims

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
You can coat if you want, but it isn't necessary. Used the stuff a bunch of times with no issues.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I'll follow up the fusion bandwagon used it for all kinds of tanks and other projects and never coated it with anything once dry.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Anything other than spray paints? The piece I'm painting is really small, only a few inches. Also, it has some detail I'm not sure I can do with spray paint.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Anything other than spray paints? The piece I'm painting is really small, only a few inches. Also, it has some detail I'm not sure I can do with spray paint.

For the detail, spray into a cup and then apply with a brush. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store