Filstar XP3, Eheim 2217 or Magnum 350 Pro?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dianas

AC Members
Mar 16, 2009
Starting a new 75g freshwater tank for African Cyclids. In your experience which is the better filter: Filstar XP3, Eheim 2217 or Magnum 350 Pro? . I can get both the Eheim & XP3 for the same price @ Ken's $137. The 350Pro is $106.00 Can I make this the only filter on my tank (if its not overstocked?)

shallowz

AC Members
Dec 14, 2007
Eheim

Eheim is a great filter, I have the Xp3 and although it gets the job done, nothing compares to the biological filtration of an eheim. The eheim classic is a great filter, because there are some that are 20 years old that are still running. Go eheim or go home.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I like the combo of canister and HOB too. Canister more for bio-filtration and HOB more for mechanical filtration. Easier to clean HOB so I want that to catch more poops and let canisters run longer between maintenance.

mbunabum

Any Cichlid Will Do!
Jan 9, 2007
upstate NY
Real Name
Terry
Ditto on the combination of hob and canister... I have been using (2) AC110's and a XP3 on my 90 gallon mbuna tank for about 3 years now. Good mechanical filtration with the Aquaclears - rinsing when I see sponges rise up. The XP is loaded with coarse and fine sponges in lowest chamber.... bio material in others with polishing pad topping off. Only clean every 6-8 weeks... or when flow seems to slow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store