SAE, CAE, and the flying fox

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I've been reading what I can find on the cyprinid family and their differences, but I wanted to ask some questions about them.

1. The Siamese algae eater is the most recommended fish for both eating algae and being more peaceful, is it not?

2. If the SAE is considered superior to the CAE (I hear the Chinese algae eater likes to attack other fish once it is older?), is there any reason to keep the CAE? Is it an interesting fish?

3. Do SAE mostly scavenge the bottom of the tank or do they move over the plants and ornaments?

4.) I've noticed people seem to like their flying foxes, is it because of their colors? Do they have similar behavior to the SAE otherwise?

5. Do these fish hide a lot? Are they nocturnal?

6. These fish need to be the only fish of their kind in the tank, do they not? Likewise, are you able to keep the different species together? Such as keeping a SAE with a CAE or flying fox?

I don't tend to be attracted to fish for their algae eating or "cleaning" abilities, I'm more interested in having a unique tank inhabitant to watch.

Last edited:

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Hmm, I've never been tempted to keep a CAE, and can never find SAE, but I can vouch for the flying foxes. Mine is very entertaining and active during the day. He's always cleaning my plant leaves as well The colouring on them is pretty spiffy, but mostly they are just plain fun to watch.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
CAEs do get kind of aggressive as they get older, SAEs will eat certain types of common plants as well as the hair algae that grows in your tank. I haven't personally kept flying foxes so I can't really give you any advice there.

fisherman

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
So. California
Visit site
I have six flying foxes in three tanks. I have never seen the slightest sign of aggression toward any other fish. They are extremely active pretty much all of the time during the day and do just an OK job on the algae. They look almost identical to SAEs. The only caution about flying foxes is that you want to have either one, or three+ in a tank. If you have two, they can be aggressive toward each other.

As you noted, SAEs have the reputation of being the best of the three when it comes to algae but like you, I have had a hard time locating them. I just this last weekend located an LFS that had them in stock and supposedly has them on a regular basis. If you can't find them, you can order them online at http://www.azgardens.com/fish_snails.php. I've never kept SAEs so I can't give you any first hand experience. SAEs are supposed to be quite peaceful but I have read some posts on the boards by folks who have had problems with them attaching to other fish.

I've also never kept CAEs but I've read enough negative things about them that I'm not interested. Young CAEs are supposed to be pretty good algae eaters but they get lazy when they mature and they have a nasty habit of attaching themselves to broad-sided fish like angels and eating their slime coat. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception with CAEs. That eventually results in the death of the poor victim.

If you decide to go with the flying fox, make sure that you're getting the real deal. The flying fox, SAE, and false siamensis are very similar and you have to look closely to make sure which one you're getting. The site below is a good one for helping you tell the difference.

http://www.bettastarz.com/sae.htm

Good luck!!

Locust

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
Redmond, Wa
Visit site
1. Sounds about right.

2. Based solely on algae eating, SAE's are clearly superior. CAE's do seem to be interesting fish and they look quite a bit different, though I've never kept them.

3. SAE's will scour every inch of your tank. Mine will even swim upside down along the bottom of my crypto's looking for algae.

4. Don't know much about flying foxes, apart from telling them apart from SAE's. ;)

5. My SAE's are active during the day. Of my two, one (who died of ich :( ) was active all the time and didn't seem to be bothered by my movement. My other SAE seems to think he's one of my Zebra Loaches, so he spends most of his time with my loaches (a lot of hiding is involved).

6. Actually, SAE's are social and prefer to be in groups. I've never tried combining them with flying foxes (Hmm... I seem to remember Flying Foxes being territorial, hopefully someone else can provide more info on them.). CAE's are actually very different fish that just happen to have a similar name. I don't think your fish would get too confused by their names, so I don't think keeping them with foxes or SAE's would be any riskier then any other fish you might have.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
So SAEs sometimes have been known to attach themselves to other fish in the tank? I thought that was just CAEs. Also, some semi-aggressive fish only pick on species that are in their own family or look very similar to them, so that's why I asked if it is okay to keep these similar fish together even if they do okay in a community tank.

fisherman

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
So. California
Visit site
Can't seem to put my mouse on it right now but I have read posts of folks who claim they have had ill-behaved SAEs. From what I can tell, that would be the exception rather than the rule but...And I think we have to keep in mind that it can be difficult to distinguish SAEs from false siamensis which by all accounts are definitely aggressive so it could be a case of mis-identification as well.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Dunno about the SAE, but the ottos and the flying foxes sure do! The ottos like veggies and algae wafers, the foxes seem to eat almost anything although they seem to have a preference for algae wafers and Hikari Micromini.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store