Any problem using a reef ready saltwater tank for freshwater fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dianas

AC Members
Mar 16, 2009
Can salt water reef ready tank be used as an African Cichlid tank? Found on craigslist a 110g, 4ft tank with wet/dry, bioballs and was curoius what issues I would have with it being converted to freshwater. Looks in good shape, no salt creep I could see on glass (so far) Opinions?

rahimsach

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
Texas
I recently converted my 12g nanocube to Freshwater. I ran 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water in the tank and that loosened up all the salts contents. For a bigger tank you can probably soak some rags in vinegar and cover up the glass that should loosen up the salts.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I agree with others.. good cleaning and set it up.:thm:

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I'm using a 29 gallon BioCube that was previously used as a reef tank. I cleaned it up good, and no issues so far. It's got a wet/dry with BioBalls.

The only thing, and I don't know how yours is set up, but in mine there's a little wall from the tank to the filter, and I've had issues with smaller FW fish (like danios) leaping over. But with cichlids I don't even think that woule ba an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store