Any Tips on Resealing a Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
In my "Decent Deal" post:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186303
I did buy the 33 flat back hex., but I'll want to reseal it prior to use. Is it best to scrape off as much silicone as possible out of the joints? Also, does silicone stick well to silicone?....so I can redo it in sections, such as around the bottom first, let that dry and then work up some of the side seams. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Andy

circuits

AC Members
Mar 9, 2009
i would definately get as much of the old silicone off. IME with car silicone, it does not seal well on top of old silicone.

i would start with thebottom like you said, carefully using a razor to get the old stuff off. then lay a thin bead down. the final step is to wet your finger and run it along the bead you just layed down, flattening it and sealing it.

i know it sounds like a lot of work, but you will be glad when your tank doesnt leak all over the floor

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Remove ALL of the silicone from the inside of the tank leaving the panes of glass stuck together, then wash it out with white vinegar to remove any residue of the silicone. Let the tank dry out then reseal with 100% pure silicone, reseal the whole tank in one go.

Edit: i forgot to say to wait a week for the silicone to cure before water testing the tank.

Last edited:

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Remove ALL of the silicone from the inside of the tank leaving the panes of glass stuck together, then wash it out with white vinegar to remove any residue of the silicone. Let the tank dry out then reseal with 100% pure silicone, reseal the whole tank in one go.

So I don't want to pull out the silicone "between" the panes. (I can feel some silicone where the angled "hex" panels meet. I just want to pull out the "surface" silicone behind the panes and reseal those. Do I have that right?

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
So I don't want to pull out the silicone "between" the panes. (I can feel some silicone where the angled "hex" panels meet. I just want to pull out the "surface" silicone behind the panes and reseal those. Do I have that right?
Yes, leave the silicone between the panes of glass there.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's a lot of bother but I tape off the seams ~1/8-1/4 inch away, otherwise I'm apt to have messy lines. If you do, remove the masking tape after smoothing the silicone before it dries.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
That's a great tip. I'm a great fan of "blue masking tape" for my interior paint projects. I wish silicone dried a little slower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store