Betta Questions??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DoN_WoN

Got Betta's?
Oct 16, 2008
South Florida
www.youtube.com
I have a lot of questions about betta's im gonna get one for my 5.. Please answer these with numbers, as many as you know or all :) thanks

1. Whats the difference of Male and Female Betta's?

2. Can i use that petstore Betta Water? OR distilled Water???

3. Can i put like a crawfish or crabs or snails in with him?? no other fish just him.

4. How often do i do water changes, and with that betta water or not?

5. What temperature should it be at??

6. What and how often do i feed him?

7. How long should my lighting be on?

8. Can i keep my air pump running?? do they not like it or what?

9. How long to bettas live?

10. I have a Mini Bow 5 http://www.petco.com/product/104565/All-Glass-Aquarium-5-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit.aspx

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
1. females have shorter tails and can be housed together

2.i wouldn't use the store water cause the fish has more than likly been pooping in it for awhile

3. 1 or 2 small shrimp or snails, maybe one of those small african frogs

4.i would just change a cup of water a week but thats me

5. room temp is fin

6. once a day

7. with no snails or shrimp only 8 hours a day to keep alge to a minimum

8.they are air beathers, but if you keep shrimp or snails with them a pump is a must (the frogs breath from the surface also)

9. I've had one live for more than two years but idk for sure

10.ok

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
1. Females have shorter fins.. plakats are a bit harder to tell apart, but you won't likely find an unlabeled one in a LFS since they're a little pricey.

2.I wouldn't recommend either, but if there's no other choice go with distilled.

3. No crawfish, no crabs. Snails might be ok depending on the betta's temperament. Mine don't bother snails.

4. I would do 10-20% weekly, preferably with dechlorinated tap water.

5. Around 78-80F is good.

6. I feed mine pellets, one or two twice a day.

7. most people go with 8-10 hours per day.

8. Air pumps are fine.

9. 3-5 years is average.

mak3mydae

AC Members
Jan 25, 2009
Boston, MA
1-Male bettas are more aggressive although many females are still agressive. most females are smaller and can be housed together

2- by pet store water im going to assume you mean the water inside of the plastic cup. the water is likely very high in nitrites which is deadly to fish, so no, you should invest in Prime. its a product that dechlorinates water and makes it safe for fish ( you put it in some tap water) it also makes nitrites nitrates and amonia less harmful

3- you cannot house shrimp, frogs crabs or crawfish. the crawfish would harass the betta. the shrimp, frogs, and crabs would all get harassed by the betta. snails are less likely to die from being harassed and the betta could ignore the snail. so yes, snails is the best choice

4- depending on the size of the tank, you should change about 20% of the water ever 3-4 days . use new water that has no chlorine in it( Buy Prime!! :O )

5- bettas perer temperates around 76-78. but they will survive in room temperature, but will not be as happy

6- feed him 2 times a day.

7- your light should be on around 9-10 hours.

8- air pumps are not nessisary but some people perfer them. some people say that bettas actually do not like air pumps and if you get a filter, get a weaker one.

9- bettas live around 3-4 years if you take good care of them

10- yes, this is a pretty nice buy for a betta. although you may want to invest in a heater. you can link the air pump into the filter that comes with it, this would give some nice aration without disturbing the fish. it also comes with some water conditioner which is a bonus, but buy prime !!

DoN_WoN

Got Betta's?
Oct 16, 2008
South Florida
www.youtube.com
1. females have shorter tails and can be housed together

2.i wouldn't use the store water cause the fish has more than likly been pooping in it for awhile

3. 1 or 2 small shrimp or snails, maybe one of those small african frogs

4.i would just change a cup of water a week but thats me

5. room temp is fin

6. once a day

7. with no snails or shrimp only 8 hours a day to keep alge to a minimum

8.they are air beathers, but if you keep shrimp or snails with them a pump is a must (the frogs breath from the surface also)

9. I've had one live for more than two years but idk for sure

10.ok
I dont mean there aquarium water i mean the water that comes in a 2 gallon container meant for bettas?

DoN_WoN

Got Betta's?
Oct 16, 2008
South Florida
www.youtube.com
1-Male bettas are more aggressive although many females are still agressive. most females are smaller and can be housed together

2- by pet store water im going to assume you mean the water inside of the plastic cup. the water is likely very high in nitrites which is deadly to fish, so no, you should invest in Prime. its a product that dechlorinates water and makes it safe for fish ( you put it in some tap water) it also makes nitrites nitrates and amonia less harmful

3- you cannot house shrimp, frogs crabs or crawfish. the crawfish would harass the betta. the shrimp, frogs, and crabs would all get harassed by the betta. snails are less likely to die from being harassed and the betta could ignore the snail. so yes, snails is the best choice

4- depending on the size of the tank, you should change about 20% of the water ever 3-4 days . use new water that has no chlorine in it( Buy Prime!! :O )

5- bettas perer temperates around 76-78. but they will survive in room temperature, but will not be as happy

6- feed him 2 times a day.

7- your light should be on around 9-10 hours.

8- air pumps are not nessisary but some people perfer them. some people say that bettas actually do not like air pumps and if you get a filter, get a weaker one.

9- bettas live around 3-4 years if you take good care of them

10- yes, this is a pretty nice buy for a betta. although you may want to invest in a heater. you can link the air pump into the filter that comes with it, this would give some nice aration without disturbing the fish. it also comes with some water conditioner which is a bonus, but buy prime !!
no i wouldn't use the water from the cup i mean this stuff...http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=425184

i have the pump that came with it..since i have a filter do i still do water changes every 3-4 days??

i have a little 50 watt heater :)

DoN_WoN

Got Betta's?
Oct 16, 2008
South Florida
www.youtube.com
the only reason im gonna use the betta water is because im only gonna have a betta in there and i have reallyyyyyyyyyyyy bad tap water, my ammonia is about 6 and ph is 8.8...

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
the only reason im gonna use the betta water is because im only gonna have a betta in there and i have reallyyyyyyyyyyyy bad tap water, my ammonia is about 6 and ph is 8.8...
Wow, that is bad tap water. Yeah, definitely use the bottled aquarium water. I think this is one instance where it's not a rip-off.
Are you in an area where they use ammonia instead of chlorine for water treatment?

DoN_WoN

Got Betta's?
Oct 16, 2008
South Florida
www.youtube.com
Wow, that is bad tap water. Yeah, definitely use the bottled aquarium water. I think this is one instance where it's not a rip-off.
Are you in an area where they use ammonia instead of chlorine for water treatment?
yepppppp i want a healthy betta :) i live in south florida i dunno what they use down here .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store