"donkey ear" pond snail ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
_MG_1185_200x200.jpg_MG_1194_200x200.jpg_MG_1199_200x200.jpg

I have a bunch of regular bladder snails, but lately I noticed that some of them looked decidedly bigger. I investigated more closely and found two that are definitely NOT bladder snails, and I grabbed a few snapshots of one of them. Based on the "donkey ears" and the right-spiraling shells, I'm guessing they're some kind of pond snail (Lymnaea), but they don't look like Great Pond Snails (Lymnaea stagnalis) and I can't seem to find much info on other kinds. Ideas?

I think they're cute and they don't seem to be eating my plants, so I'd like more of them. They're definitely way outnumbered by the bladder snails and I can't find any babies of this type. Do I need to do anything special to encourage them to get busy?

Thanks!

_MG_1185_200x200.jpg _MG_1194_200x200.jpg _MG_1199_200x200.jpg

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
If it helps at all, I *think* the common Pond Snail that circulates around the aquarium trade is Lymnaea/Radix peregra.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Thanks, vampie! I saw peregra mentioned in a few places and some of the photos were a pretty good match, but some weren't. It seemed that a couple of different kinds of snails were getting labeled with that species name and I wasn't sure who to trust. If that's the most common one, that's probably what I have though. They were hitchhikers along with the bladder snails.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Common Pond Snail....

They should reproduce just fine but not as quick as the bladder snails so just give them time.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, I'm thinking peregra too.
It definitely doesn't look like the ones I have, which makes me even more inclined to thing I may have l. stagnalis.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I found a third one this morning, larger than the other two, so I'm hopeful that they are indeed breeding.

EDIT: Should have said "smaller than the other two." Doh!

Yeah, I'm thinking peregra too.
It definitely doesn't look like the ones I have, which makes me even more inclined to thing I may have l. stagnalis.
Congrats! Do keeps us posted on those. :)

Last edited:

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
No clue on the sci name I'm still looking, but as you found it seems to be a jumbled mess as to what is what.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store