Who is eating my neons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Ok, so I have recently lost (and I mean literally lost) 2 neons. One a couple weeks ago, and another a couple days ago. I had 6 of them in a 10G with a single betta.

We also have a kitten who likes to get on top of the tank, and knocks the filter lid into the tank regularly (I am guessing he is either trying to reach into the tank for something, or just clumsy).

So, when I found the first neon missing I took out decorations, checked in the filter, behind the tank, under the tank etc, no sign of it, same with the second one.

So....... who is eating them? the cat or the betta? the betta seems too small, but I dunno, and to be honest, the cat is too stupid!! But I need to figure out where they are going.

Thanks.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Maybe they just died of other causes and then the rest of the fish ate the carcass.

Edit: I'd be surprised if the cat could actually catch and eat a fish that small and fast without ending up in the tank.

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
Maybe they just died of other causes and then the rest of the fish ate the carcass.

Edit: I'd be surprised if the cat could actually catch and eat a fish that small and fast without ending up in the tank.
I'd agree with you there. Died and eaten by the rest.

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Ok done kidding Neons do suffer from die back.you said that you have had them a few weeks .is this a new tank

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007

Doubtful they died of other causes, they all had good bright color, very active, eating, swimming etc, no symptoms of any description, they literally are there one minute, then gone.

The angel
Different tank, the angel's are in the 55G and 29G, these are in the 10G.

Ok done kidding Neons do suffer from die back.you said that you have had them a few weeks .is this a new tank
Tank has been set up for at least 6 months, maybe more. Cycled and seeded with filter from established tank.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I think that what McLendon was suggesting is that Neons are not particularly hardy and often once you get a school several just die for no apparent reason in the first month. Almost every group of neons I've purchased this has happened. My current school has been the best so far - only lost 1 of 11.

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
one simple explanation is cat knocks lid into tank spooking the fish the basic reaction
to this would be the fight or flight response so fish is trying to escape and jumps out cat has treats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store