Penguin 350, too much for my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

birdman7389

AC Members
Aug 25, 2005
I just got this filter from my local Petsmart, its going on a 26 gallon Guppy/planted tank. I forgot to take into consideration the output, its quite a bit :headshake2:
Should I take it back or figure out some other filter for this tank, maybe an AquaClear?

mattskims

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Its really up to you and if your fish can handle it. I have no experience with guppies. An oversized filter is never a bad thing (although it should never be subsituted for less water changes!). So if your fish aren't being thrown up against the glass and you like the filter (i'm partial to AC's though), keep it...or just get a bigger tank :)

clgkag

AC Members
Mar 30, 2008
I have an ac110 on a standard 29 and the fish don't seem to have any issues with it. Mine isn't planted though so I can't help with that part of it.

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
No it will be fine.

Better to overfilter a tank then underfilter it.

Plus think of it this way, your bio-load in your tank will be a little bigger, and you will be able to handle an extra fish or two... ;)

And if your really worried, that model has 4 filters in it, so you can always leave 2 or 3 filters in if you really do have an overfiltering problem of some sort.

I have one the Penguin 350 on my 29 (filled to 26/27) In addition to a pretty heavily planted tank, and it all works out fine for my fish...

Only thing is I only have one top layer fish (african Butterfly) guppy's are top level. So if your having many small upper level swimming fish, you may find too much surface agitation (If your mid/flow control thing is all the way open).

Just close it down some to limit flow.

I think it'll be just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store