What powerhead to put in 55 gal freshwater community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doug_S2K

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2009
I Have a 55 gal with an AC 70 HOB. This is a freshwater setup with mollies, guppies, platies, dwarf gourami, bolivian ram and some tetras. Im looking for a powerhead that will help circulate the water without causing to much current for my fish. My objective is to keep the other side of the tank cleaner and help keep the top of my substrate (silica sand) cleaner. I dont want my poor fish to be blown around like ragdolls in the current though. Just something strong enough to keep the substrate surface cleaner and keep my fish happy. Will also add a quickfilter on powerhead to help filter and prevent my little fish from getting sucked up.

I was originally going to get an AC 70 powerhead (400gph) but am now thinking it might be to strong of a current. I know they are adjustable flow wise but not sure of just how much flow control it gives u. I mean, I have no idea if u can adjust it down to around 100gph or if the max adjustment is something like 300gph. Adjustable is great but not knowning the range of adjustability is a problem. So now im thinking AC 50 powerhead (270gph). A local store has AC powerheads on sale for 40% off for the rest of the week so im trying to figure out which one to get before the sale is over. hehe

Any suggestions? Anyone have a similar setup? Any info/help is appreciated.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I would go with an AC70 filter on a 55 gallon tank (I did). I centered mine as close to center as I could get it and it does a great job. For the type of fish you have, you really don't need anything more.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have an AC (50?) that is ok, I like that the flow can adjust. I also have a couple maxi jets (1200) that seem to have more flow although similar stats.

I find it hard to place them optimally, you;ll have to play with them aim the flow at decor, different heights etc. With sand I use either an AC Quick Filter (takes up a lot of room) or a sponge over the intake to keep sand & fish out. Placed too low & sand gets blown around.

On 55g I use 2 filters, increases flow & alternating filter cleaning is nice too. you might consider it instead of a PH.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
On 55g I use 2 filters, increases flow & alternating filter cleaning is nice too. you might consider it instead of a PH.
Me too, I use two filters on any tank 55G and over. I have an AC 110 on the right side of the tank, tons of flow for the cories and the loaches, and an Emporer 280 on the left which gives me nice water movement but is much gentler flow which the embers like.

I have the same set up on my 75G with the AC 110 on the left and the Emporer on the right and that AC blows the small fish even on the lowest setting.

Doug_S2K

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I do realize the AC70 HOB I have is enough filtration for the type of fish I have. My issue is the lack of current on the other side of the tank. I know another HOB will produce some current on the other side but thought a powerhead with a filter on it would be better than another HOB. ???

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd go with a small additional HOB, maybe 1 with an adjustable flow. PH filters ie Quick Filters, clog fast, are big & unattractive. Prices are similar PH vs HOB & I think you'd be better off. Also nice to have an already cycled filter for quarantine or new tanks.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
can you put the AC70 at/near one end and extend the intake down to the other end? ...may take some diy-ing.

I have a 20G long with a whisper 40 HOB at one end, and the intake plumbed down to the far end. 90+% of the crud ends up at the intake end. It has a nice gentle current. The tank has pool filter sand, it stays reasonably clean.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store