Will a small Discus be OK in a 20G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Guppies and Neons really aren't compatible with discus. Discus should have a temperature around 85 F to be at their best and to keep them disease free, 82F is the bare minimum. Guppies and neons need temps below 80F to be at their best.

Also, discus should be in groups of 3 or more to be happy. So in a few months there won't be enough room for them. They really should be in 40g+ tanks.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Another thing to consider is that people who are discus advocates feed their fish heavily and do very frequent water changes in order to obtain good size with their fish. If you don't maintain their feeding and water quality (which will be more difficult in a smaller tank) your fish could become ill or stunted.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by PumaWard
Guppies and Neons really aren't compatible with discus. Discus should have a temperature around 85 F to be at their best and to keep them disease free, 82F is the bare minimum. Guppies and neons need temps below 80F to be at their best.

Also, discus should be in groups of 3 or more to be happy. So in a few months there won't be enough room for them. They really should be in 40g+ tanks.
I totally agree... I would bump the temp up to 84 degrees as a minimum though. Not a big deal, but don't let it drop below 82 degress.
I know there are many that can't keep the large tanks, but a standard 55g would be even better.

Again, as mentioned, Discus love the comfort of being in a school. They don't do well solo... They need hiding places for security too. Plants help with this.... HTH

STaNgXs

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
Current temp it 81*.

I don't have room for 3 Discus', obviouly :D

What's a really nice fish, price doesn't matter, i'm looking to get on fairly expensive fish. What would you suggest?

don't suggest a bigger tank, i'm getting a 55G with Piranhas soon :D

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
I wouldn't go for the expensive discus unless you're planning on taking grade A care of them and I mean the kind of care dahlia talked about. They're very sensitive fish so I also hope the tank is cycled. Otherwise it's going to be one hell of an expensive toilet puck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store