a fish tank for a museum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Hello all, word has gotten out about my restaurant full of tanks and a designer from a museum here in town came to my place yesterday to offer me the contract dealing with the fish tank they have in their fossil area.

The idea is to have prehistoric looking fish that have not changed much if at all since prehistoric times. At present there is a gar in there that is about 10 years old.

I only had a short tour of the fish maintenance closet and the actual tank itself, but from what I see very poorly maintained. Will do actual water tests when I next go there in a week or so.

Here is a pic of the tank, the dimensions are in inches 28 wide x 59 long x 36 tall. So, it comes in at about 250g.

Their basic first line is to get the water quality in line as well as the fish closet cleaned up, which is easily doable. The budget for looking after the tank that I was offered is $350/ month all inclusive.

I will make this a build thread and start with taking a good series of shots as it is. As well I will be emailing this thread to the person who contacted me so he can read it.

So lets see what you come up with for a wow factor tank designed to peak the kids and adults minds and transport them to prehistory

chef

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
pretty sure that they are not, but many of the plecos look pretty prehistoric... what sort of habitat are you looking to reproduce? I'm guessing marine, relatively close to the surface? Where in the world? Does that budget include fish?

BTW, where's your restaurant?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Jardini Arowanas might work, really anything from the "Jurassic Fishes" book that stays a reasonable length.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
lungfish? there are more "primitive" plecos. cories would probably work; bony plates and all. i wouldnt do an arrowana; they need minimum 300 for themselves. hmmmm... for decor, are you thinking any live plants? mosses are ancient

ps: nice job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store