DIY spraybar for Rena XP1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Christopherb

Turtle nerd
Mar 6, 2009
finally posting it. Made this a couple weeks ago, it works very well.
Lots of large pictures.
Ingredients(Materials lol):
1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe
(6) 1/2" 90 degree elbows
(1) 1/2" Cap
(1) 1/2" SlipxThreaded Connector
(1) 1/2" barbed fitting for tubing to slip onto
-Teflon tape for the threads
-PVC Primer and Cement
-(Optional) PVC pipe cutters. These make life so much easier than using a hacksaw or something.
-Drill with 1/8" drill bit.. Dremel works too.
-Tape measure

I wish I had taken more pics, but the process is pretty basic.

The first steps, measured the piece to go down the back of my tank, it's about 15" long. Primed and glued all of it together, and teflon taped and screwed in the hose barb.

Next I measured and drilled all the holes. I drilled 1/8" holes every inch. Start with that and if it creates too much backpressure, drill more holes or bore them out with the next size bit. I marked the line, then made an X and drilled in the center of the X.

Primed and glued the left side all together.

Here's where I skimped on pics. Here is the finished spraybar before painting. I have glued in the bar, holes are pointing pretty much straight out, with a tiny 20-30 degree downward angle. And capped right end has been glued on.

I then roughed up the surface and used Rustoleum Pastic spraypaint. Gloss Black. I have no pics of this..
After I allowed the paint to dry for about 2 days I put it in the tank and primed the filter. Started it up and success!

Now heres a bunch of other pics of it on the tank
The part that goes down the back of the tank

Looks nice and clean from the top...

In the water. Super hard to see if you're not at the perfect angle.

Also ziptied the intake to the end of the spraybar so that it stays straight in the water column.

Whatcha think?

Christopherb

Turtle nerd
Mar 6, 2009
When I got the filter it was used..didnt come with one.

For my gourami tank I wanted a calmer flow than the jet nozzle, so I made one of these. I think its better than factory.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Nice.

If I read it right. You glued the Bar in.
You could have left it loose, so you could fine tune the direction.

Other than that... Nice Job!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Do you think that would be a good idea to make it rain in my cory tank? Maybe with a way to have it either just spray straight down into the water or twist it up to make rain? I have my waterline lowered for my snails anyway.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
As long as the flow breaks the smooth water surface, it provides aeration. If you increase that, you'll get louder water noise (which bothers some folks, not others), and the continuing splattering water is going to create more mineral deposits to clean off. It might become a problem if your light fixture doesn't have a splash guard. Other than that, it's whichever way you want to do this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store