Filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scowldog

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Olympia, WA
It has been a decade since I have done much with aquariums. I would like to learn more about what is new regarding filtration.

In the past I always used undergravel systems with a powerhead/ hob for biological and a magnum canister with diatomaceous earth for clarity.

I would like to get current on what is new and would specifically like to learn about reverse flow undergravel.

I was in my lfs today and noticed that undergravel plates arent in any of their tanks any more and that none were for sale. Everything they had were hob. Is undergravel not used anymore?

My needs in the near future will be fw or brackish if it makes a difference. Not into sw at this point.

I appreciate any links or advice

Thanks
scott

scowldog

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Olympia, WA
Specifically, I'm curious about reverse flow undergravel. How is this setup?

I've always felt that undergravel was a very effective system utilizizng a large suface area for reducing bactieria to thrive, cheap and easy to setup. Why is it not used much anymore?

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I don't know but I've actually never used under gravel filtration. Did you check out the Dr. Fosters and Smith site? They might have something. Good luck!

scowldog

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Olympia, WA
What is rb?

I guess I was just suprised not to see ug used that much anymore. Gravel is almost always present in most tanks. With a simple platform to elevate it and a lift tube to create flow (whether using a air column or powerhead), there is a large amount of surface area that can be used to optimize the biological capacity of a tank.

I guess there must be some reason why it has been abandoned. I looked at the dr site and can't even find any at all....

now I'm just curious.

What is the current trend for canisters filters and diatomaceous earth I used to run magnums to clean up tanks after stirring up the debris settled in the gravel. After cleaning I would then switch it over to a activated carbon canister to keep the nasties down for the rest of the month. Is that still common? Something better?

Thanks for all the help
Scott

scowldog

AC Members
Mar 15, 2009
Olympia, WA
I did a little research and found this article.

http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

I will be down at OSU in a few weeks and will take a look at what they are using in the micro program for their stock tanks. I have a feeling that the success/failure with ug is maintenace related. Lacking some empirical data that their is a reason not to use one, I will probably go ahead and do so in combination with either a canister or hob.

Thanks for all your comments. Please continue to ad to the thread.

Scott

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store