Wondering about Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Are there any types of angelfish that will stay pretty small and do well in a 35 gallon? That tank is 36"x12" deep x 18" high. Right now the tank is pretty lightly stocked and if angels are a possibilty I wouldn't mind adding a couple. Will they be ok with cardinal tetras?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I was ready to say "sure, a pair of angels would do well in that tank" UNTIL you mentioned your tank was pretty decently stocked! :D

...and telling us you have smaller tetras doesn't help either, so for now I would say "No", do not add any angelfish to this tank.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
angels

giving that they live out their lives can get up to a foot big (i've seen it) however this will take time i don't see why a pair of small ones now wouln't survive in your tank - although in the wild neon tetras are their natural prey so i woul expect them once they get about 3 1/2 inches or so to make a go at your small tetras - i once owned 3 neons that completley vanished from my tank my angel mustve gotten them cause the platies sure didnt! but angel's are awesome

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I said lightly stocked and I will elaborate a bit more to clear it up. There are 2 dwarf gouramies, 3 rainbowfish (not sure type but seemed to have maxed at about 3 inches), and 4 cardinal tetras.

We saw some pink angels at the local Big Al's and my girlfriend loved them. I would really like to add them to the tank (her tank not mine) but am still not sure if it's a good idea. Are there types that stay smaller than others?

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I haven't heard of a pink angelfish before (though I suppose I am not an expert). However, I have researched them a lot since I am planning on getting some. If the fish is truly pink then most likely it has been dyed that color. The color wears off after you buy the fish, and many people say that it is cruel and unhealthy for the fish to be dyed (there is a pretty big debate on this subject so I won't get into it).

If someone knows about an angelfish that is truly pink let us know!

Also, there aren't any dwarf angels. The only way they would stay small is if they were stunted, which is caused by poor water quality and/or improper feeding.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila

Look anything like this? They are normally called blushing angels, and there are several color morphs that have a pinksih tinge. Some juveniles will retain this, but many will turn either gold or silver, with light pink tinges around their gill plates. However, all of the color variations should be expected to acheive a large adult size. A single one in a tall 20 would be okay, but not ideal. I'm not sure about mixing the gouramies and angels--the gouramies may pick on the angel.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
i keep gouramies

with angels with out problem - but i have a platinum gourami ( i believe) a moonlight gourami and a honey gourami when my angel was a baby my platinum woul chase him a little bit but he chased everyone to let them know it was "his tank" but now that my angel is his size he doesn't bother him

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I have a ('gold?') angel thats a slighlty pinkish color, looks like the one Oriongirl posted. He/she is in my 25 gal tall tank, and is very happy. He doesnt get along with my ram too well, but they just bicker at feeding time. They both chase each other so i'm not too concerned about injury... thier fins look fine. (been together for a good 6-7 months now). I love my angel. They are so cool, kind of act like gouramis sometimes. He was really tiny when i first got him and is about 2 3/4 inches now. My tank isnt very full so to give him lots of room.
I reccommend them, but they are slow moving so be careful not to have faster, more agressive fish.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Thanks for all the wonderful input its is much appreciated! These angels were an intense, bright pink so I suppose it is a possibility they were dyed. I will ask next time because the look very nice with the white and pink together.

OG I'm surpised you thought the dwarfs might be aggressive toward the angels. I never thought they would be a problem and are only sometimes toward each other, not to anyone else in the tank.

How big can I expect a pair of angels in a 35 gallon tank to get? Bigger than a softball? They are kind of that shape so I like comparing them to round objects, like cds for example. It lets me have a visual idea of how big to expect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store