How long to soak rock in bleach water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm cleaning up Texas holey rock. How long should I let it soak in Chlorox water?

I've had some in a big tub for about 4 hours.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
From the wikipedia article on sterilization.

Bleach

Chlorine bleach is another accepted liquid sterilizing agent. Household bleach consists of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. It is usually diluted to 1/10 immediately before use; however to kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis it should be diluted only 1/5, and 1/2.5 (1 part bleach and 1.5 parts water) to inactivate prions. The dilution factor must take into account the volume of any liquid waste that it is being used to sterilize.[11] Bleach will kill many organisms immediately, but for full sterilization it should be allowed to react for 20 minutes. Bleach will kill many, but not all spores. It is highly corrosive and may corrode even stainless steel surgical instruments.
Bleach decomposes over time when exposed to air, so fresh solutions should be made daily. [12]

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks guys... I appreciate the help.
Very interesting information, biomajor... I didn't know for sure that anything inactivated prions but I'm glad to hear it. I have this thing about the potential for CJD and BSE exposure. (not fo my fish, lol, but for me)

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Yeah... I dug up, picked up, and hauled it off. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just make sure you give some additional soak time in clean water with a heavy dose of chlorine remover...or a long air dry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store