Rock for aquarium... just grab one?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I need a rock to attach a piece of driftwood to. Can I just grab any old rock and scrub it/ bleach it? Can I just go out and find some shale or slate?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Yes pretty much. I do the vinegar test on any rock I put in my aquarium. If you pour white vinegar on the rock and it does NOT bubble, it is aquarium safe. I then just scrub with warm water and put it in.

srikamaraja

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
If it bubbles, that just means you can use that particular rock in a higher-pH aquarium. The vinegar test just shows the rock has a higher pH-buffering value. Still safe for African cichlid and Brackish tanks.

To be sure there are no extant contaminants to your system, boiling is best.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Be careful boiling rocks.....they can explode.
I had heard that too. Those things apparently can go off like bombs. I'll scrub it really well. Would soaking it in alcohol or bleach be good too?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I had heard that too. Those things apparently can go off like bombs. I'll scrub it really well. Would soaking it in alcohol or bleach be good too?
I'd suggest scrubbing and rinsing it really well and then let it soak. Test the pH of the water it's in everyday to see what (if any) affect it will have on the aquarium.

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
If you really want to make a rock explode, heat it up as much as you can, say in the center of a campfire, and throw it in a cold lake..... KABOOM...SPLOOSH!

I believe you're fine if you place the rock in room temp water and bring them both up to a boil. It's the rapid heating/cooling of the outside of the rock that 'splodes it.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
If you really want to make a rock explode, heat it up as much as you can, say in the center of a campfire, and throw it in a cold lake..... KABOOM...SPLOOSH!

I believe you're fine if you place the rock in room temp water and bring them both up to a boil. It's the rapid heating/cooling of the outside of the rock that 'splodes it.

:rofl: That's awesome! Sounds like you have experience. (I'm gonna have to try this one sometime...:evil_lol:.
I'm sure it's possible to do it without exploding it, but it would depend on the rock, and temperatures. I'd rather play it safe in my moms kitchen... I don't think she'd appreciate me blowing it up! :lol2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store