Boil Malaysian driftwood?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Hi all,

I bought three pieces of Malaysian driftwood for my new 20-long at Petco, all "made" by Zilla. They say it's been treated for resins, but I was wondering if I should boil it anyway. Unlike many, I'm not a big fan of "tea stained" water. Thoughts? :confused:

irishspy

Kuthoht

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Malaysian driftwood can be boiled as much as you want. I boiled my pieces for like 2 hours lol. Got alot of tanin out that way. I had to change the water in the pot twice as it got dark tea colored. These are very dense woods the boiling wont soften them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd boil it just to make sure anything on it is killed. Just because it comes from an LFS doesn't make it safe to instantly use. I have seen too many pet stores where the spray insecticides to kill critters do to the moisture and food that is around on the shelves.

irishspy

I have seen too many pet stores where the spray insecticides to kill critters do to the moisture and food that is around on the shelves.
Good point, Bob. :idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store