Sick Fish, Good Euthanasia Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morkusmaximus

Hobbyist
Jul 21, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hello AC members. Looking for some expert advice. I have a couple of really sick fish that I feel are now just suffering. The question for anyone who may know the answer is: What is an experienced hobbyist's opinion about the best Euthanasia product on the market?
I realize the toilet is in the other room, but something morally causes me to seek a more peaceful means for the fish.
I would be very grateful for any help, and thanks in advance!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Good for you for wanting to humanely euthanising your sick fish.
I'm going to post an article written by one of our AC members.

It describes the clove oil method. You definitely don't want to flush. They can lay in a sewer pipe and suffer for days in chemicals and sludge and crud.

You don't want to freeze them, because scientists now know they can feel themselves freeze very painfully, slowly.

I have had to use the clove oil method, and when done as directed it is a very calm, peaceful, painless, and stress free method for your poor fishies.

I'll be right back with the link.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Here's the link. Clove oil can be purchased at the pharmacy. Ask for "Eugenol". They usually have it, or health food stores do.
It's not expensive and it a very humane method.

The fish just goes to sleep, and then while asleep you give it the fatal dose that just makes it go deeper and deeper to sleep and then death comes.... peacefully.

Thank you for caring so much for your fish's comfort.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1370852#post1370852

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Oh, and I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I have had to put down sick fish, and it is very sad. But, thankfully, you can know that your last action on their behalf was a loving act of kindness.

So sorry for your loss.

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I also have had to put a fish to sleep due to severe suffering from illness, and it's a very sad, terrible feeling. I used the clove oil method, and that is exactly what happens. They appear to just become very relaxed and go to sleep. So sorry for your loss!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
You're welcome. I hope this has helped.

For my fish, to make the whole experience as stress free as possible, I used a clear cuplike container to slowly dip my fish out. Basically let him swim into it.

I sat the container on my kitchen counter, and I even had a piece of short sword plant in there with him (guppy), and while still in the container I diluted 1 drop of clove oil in about 4 oz. of tank water, in a turkey baster actually, shaking vigorously, and slowly dripped it into the container, which held about 8 to 12 oz.

He swam around peacefully and after about 5 or 10 minutes started swimming slower. He eventually settled down on the bottom of the container and was breathing normally but lay on his side.

I know he was asleep, just like when you are unconscious during surgery. I mixed up the fatal does in another 6 oz or so, and added a drop at a time over the next 5 or 10 minutes.

During this he was still, but for his breathing, and his breathing became more shallow until it stopped completely. I left him in this for about 30 minutes and then put him in the freezer.

The reason I've given you the details of this procedure, as I had to perform it, is that some on this forum think that a severe blow to the head of the fish is quicker and more humane.

Or plunging a knife into him behind his head, severing the spine.

To me, though, the act of holding him or laying him on a flat surface seems traumatic and stressful. Also, I am afraid I wouldn't successfully deliver a fatal blow, and would have to make one or more attempts, which would be horrible for him and for me.

I wish you the best, friend, and want you to know I am truly sorry for this sad loss you have suffered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store