Heater issues?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ib4walrus

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
My visitherm deluxe for some reason doesn't heat my tank properly. I placed it into the tank for 15 minutes before turning it on and when I do have it turned on, the temperature is set at 79 F but the heater is still off :confused:. My tank is around 68 F. The heater only turns on when I dial 84 F as the temperature. This is a new replacement that I got from my lfs for my other one which showed the same problems. Now since this one is doing the same, I'm most likely the problem. Help please?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of thermometer do you have? A glass floating one, or a stick on one?

ib4walrus

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
I have a glass floating thermometer and a 75 watt heater in a 10g tank.

**I turned it up to 83 F 5 minutes ago to have the heater on and now it turned off again. The water is still cold to the touch.

Last edited:

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
prolly calibration issues... variances in how you read the thermometer, and how it was calibrated, in how the heaters are calibrated, and in variance in water temp between your heater location and thermometer location. I would crank it up to 84 and watch the thermometer every couple minutes.. see if temp rises, and where it stops. If it stops below where you want it, turn up the heater a bit more.... if it is still rising after it's where you want it, set the heater to where you want it and see if it turns off. Is the water circulating?

ib4walrus

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
I also thought that it wasn't calibrated or something but how would you calibrate it? I have the heater horizontally near the bottom of the tank (above the gravel of course) near the filter intake. And yes it was the reputation of these heaters on this forum (the most helpful source of information I have found!) which caused me to buy the brand.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think 78 degress should be cold to your touch...

HrdWodFlor

Tiger Dog is on the lookout!
Oct 7, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
A good way to check thermometers accuracy is to put water and a few ice cubes in a glass and float the thermometer in there. It should show a temp right around 32* if not you can see how far off +/- it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store