do I need a filter in my 29g planted tank, or can I us a PH?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I was wondering if I really needed a filter in my (soon to be heavily) planted 29g. I currently have an aquaclear 20 on it, but its so small I dont think it really makes a difference, so would it be possible to just us eone of my extra MJ PH's instead? right now all I have is some swordtails in it, though tomorrow I'll be getting more fish (some schoolers) and some plants.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
It's all about how much waste is being produced. In a heavily (how heavy are we talking?) planted tank, I have experienced a decreased need for filtration when it comes to biological. You can probably do with a lot less mechanical as well.

The type of plants also carry some weight - in my Amazon tank I have swords that like to lose a good amount of leaves so there is always a heavy amount of mulm to clean up. It almost seems like I can't get enough mechincal filtration in there. Whereas my Asian tank is all blyxa aubertii, which sheds next to nothing so that tank is spotless without me having to do the slightest vacuuming. (In fact i never vac that tank.)

Some plants like a lot of circulation, so the powerheads will do nicely. Other plants like stillness.

I guess more info would help me in giving advice.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
its really just a random mix of plants right now, Im getting the main stock of stem plants tomorrow and getting rid of the other plants that I dont want. right now all I have in it filter is a sponge, I have some carbon in a baggie in the tank as well, but I plan to take that out pretty soon. I might try a PH and see what happens for a week or so. if I decide I need a filter, I'll keep it, but if not, then Ill just use the PH.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Depending on the amount of plant material that dies off, you will find yourself having to maintenance the aquarium in relation to it regardless of filtration. That's about the only thing I can tell you.

If you have plants that like flow, use several powerheads. Plants that like stillness, use fewer or none at all.

However if you heavily stock the tank with fauna, I would suggest at least running a good power filter to pick up some of the muck. Just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store