Residual CO2 In Regulator?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
So I need to disassemble my pressurized system. I turned off the CO2 from the main valve on the CO2 tank, but the pressure reading on the high pressure gauge hasn't changed and CO2 is still flowing through the system.

I don't want to go unscrew the regulator from the tank and have it burst off...is there just some CO2 still left in the system? (I know with the CO2 tanks that I work with at my lab, we turn off the main valve first and then the regulator to let out whatever CO2 is in between the regulator and the CO2 tank...could it be that b/c the flow here is so much less it's just taking longer for it to fully clear?)

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
Turn off the cylinder and then, with the co2 line out of your tank, open the needle valve all the way and turn up the cylinder downstream pressure. It'll depressurize pretty quickly
:werd: There is still pressurized co2 in the line even though the cylinder is closed. Because with the small needle valves used for aquarium applications it tanks a very long time to for the lines to drain. So as said above, if you dont want the excess co2 in your tank remove the line from the tank and crank it wide open on the regulator, it will drain.

It also should be noted that with a closed cylinder you should never have pressure stored in the lines as this lowers the lifespan on the regulators. Excess wear and tear.

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
yeah I opened the needle valve up all the way and the high pressure gauge dropped pretty quickly.

thanks guys :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store