lighting for a bubble-tip?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
so about eight months ago hubby decided he wanted this beautiful maroon clown....k set him up a tank all's good. now he wants an anemone, so we're gonna try a bubble tip, I've had an array of soft corals and some hard, but this'll be the first anemone. What lighting and water flow would be sufficient to keep him happy? any suggestions are welcome!:)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Instead of the minimum, try to shoot for something that is above adequate. A good T5 fixture would work just fine, such as the Nova Extreme models (especially the Pro models) would be a good start--assuming you want to stick with fluorescents. There are a number of halide fixtures out there that would also work nicely, like several of Current USA's lines.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I don't know if my experience is just mine or typical, but I had an RBTA that was a real roamer. She was all over the tank and never happy. I now have a GBTA and she is very happy and doesn't move much.

I keep her under a 150w Metal Halide and towards the top of the tank. As for flow, nothing that is direct but there is a fair amount of water movement around her, just not blowing on her.

For the record. My clowns don't bother with the GBTA, there hosted by my rock of fuzzy mushroom which are fairly large. They absolutely love their FMs and not near the effort of a BTA.

Hope this info/experience helps.

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
yeah don't get me wrong I want to get it the best I can afford, glad to know the T5's are alright, I'm leaning toward sticking with fluorescents for now. That would be my luck, I'll get this set up and the maroon will probably still hide behind the filter all day:headshake2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store