OMG!!! My Plecos eyes are gone!!! AHHHH!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
OMG! I came home today and my plecos right eye looked white. I looked at his other eye and it is COMPLETELY missing! A red CAVE. I HAVE NEVER EVER DELT WITH THIS BEFORE. I am kind of freaking out. What the heck do I do? He's in with Cichlids and I know someone has been getting vicious! I had a fish die of what looked like abuse. I dont know who the culprit is but I bet its the same one...

OMG- My plecos eyes are missing! I'm freaking out and want to cry and have to save him... should I put him down? What the heck do I do about this?!?!?!?

:eek:mg:

:1zhelp:

:huh:

PS: He has been with these fish for a year without issue!!!! So I dont know what the heck has changed.... AHHHHH!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
unfortunately, from what I've heard it's common for chiclids to eat plecos eyes. I wish I could have told you that yesterday. fortunately, they seem to get by pretty well without them, as they tend to live in pretty low-light, murky water in the wild anyway. I feel sorry for it, though...

Mabel

Fish are Friends; not food!
May 10, 2007
OHIO
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma, but people can live with out eyes. I would move him to another tank and put some marine salt in to help him heal. He might be able to make it with out eyes.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
that's horrible!! i'm so sorry for you, and the poor fish v.v i hope he manages to be okay without them

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Don't put him down. Clean water with big changes are it's best hope.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys, made me feel a bit better that he can survive and I'm not just a terrible fish keeper!!! I will never put a pleco in with cichlids again. I cant believe he was OK all this time...

Ugh, I feel so bad! Sorry my first post was a bit ranty- I posted as soon as I saw it, so I was still terribly shocked.

Good to know he can probably make it. Unfortuatly I just changed my freaking QT tank into a planted so I have NO WHERE to put him... I might have to come up with something fast. :(

PS: I guess I am terrible for not knowing cichlids can do that... :(

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
just so it's not a suprise, his other one might recover, but it probably will fall out.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the info guy. You've cleared my head enough to know what to do next. We'll get this guy fixed up and put into a tank of non-aggressive JERK BALLS! lol.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If the remaining eye is white and bulging it might possibly be pop-eye which is a bacterial infection. Either way, some Maracyn, Maracyn-Two or similar antibiotic in a clean tank of water will help. Salt is good for parasitic infections. Plecos don't really use their eyes that much for finding food. They use the barbels to find it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store