FS Thiara Winteri - Rare Trumpet Snails!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ch3fb0yrdee

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2008
Thiara Winteri
These snails have thorns on their shells!

Care: Similar to Melanoides sp. aka Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Ph above 7 is preferred to keep their shells pristine.

Feeding off of leftover foods, algae wafers and whatever they can get. They do not harm healthy plants.
They behave similarly to malaysian trumpet snails. Peaceful and aerates the substrate for you!

The thing about these guys is that they have thorns on their shells! Their shell difference shows them to be a little stockier than the traditional Malaysian Trumpet snails. On top of that, they have thorns on every whorl on the shell. Each snail varies and may lack thorns here and there. They breed similarly to Malaysian Trumpets, where they hold their eggs in and release the babies once they hatch. So in a sense, they are "live-bearing snails", much like Malaysian Trumpets.
Some snails carry a hint of yellow on them. It varies on each individual.

Online sources say that captive offspring do NOT carry thorns anymore. However, I see little babies that are carrying small thorns. They are not as pronounced as wild ones, I suppose. I'm not sure what triggers this to be honest.

In any case, these are rare snails in the US.

I have limited amounts available, first PM first serve.
Note that they breed the same was as Malaysian Trumpets, so you don't need much to start off a colony.

Minimum order of 5 pcs.

Thiara Winteri - $3 each

Shipping is $6.

No heatpacks are available nor provided, as the weather has been quite warm.

The image with the lined of snails is NOT my image. Although it shows you the difference of the different trumpet snails. The one furthest to the right, being the Thiara Winteri. (Many thanks to my friend for letting me use his picture.)

The rest are my own images.

100_4707.JPG 100_4708.JPG 100_4716.JPG 100_4709.JPG 100_4710.JPG 100_4711.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

Last edited:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Hey, this is where I got my snails from! They're quite nice :-D Check out my thread for more images of the snails I got from him. They're really cool, like a porcupine almost!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
If only the economy wasn't so .... right now.

Yadokari, if this person knew what snail it is, how come you had to ask for an ID earlier?

ch3fb0yrdee

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2008
He didn't know what snails they were, neither did I. I asked him to come over to take a look at them in hopes of being able to ID them. He couldn't do it either, so I gave him some to take home and help get an ID on them.

I've been breeding them for about 3 weeks now, I started with a 15-20 or so, I had more but I threw most away thinking they were ordinary trumpet snails. Until I noticed there were spikes on them and so I started collecting them up and threw them in a bucket. Soon I had around 40+ and now I'm just thinning them out.

You're the one who ID'd it for us, right? If you want some, send me a PM, we can work something out.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
If only the economy wasn't so .... right now.

Yadokari, if this person knew what snail it is, how come you had to ask for an ID earlier?

Neither of us could ID it until you did! :)
He asked me to go over yesterday to check it out. He's been talking about them for a while now but didn't have pictures to back it up. Been too lazy to go over to his place till yesterday, out of sheer boredom. HAHA.... Ah well, I got snails out of that trip! Neat ones too!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Way cool.....

Dont have enough in the paypal account though....

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
He didn't know what snails they were, neither did I. I asked him to come over to take a look at them in hopes of being able to ID them. He couldn't do it either, so I gave him some to take home and help get an ID on them.
Neither of us could ID it until you did! :)
He asked me to go over yesterday to check it out. He's been talking about them for a while now but didn't have pictures to back it up. Been too lazy to go over to his place till yesterday, out of sheer boredom. HAHA.... Ah well, I got snails out of that trip! Neat ones too!
Oh, ok, I was just curious. :)

Ch3f, you're so getting a PM.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Ha did I get you into the snails too?

ch3fb0yrdee

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2008
Maybe.. Maybe you did Chris. Still have your invert list? Dude you get your inverts in yet Chris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store