Reptiles in Paludarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alexander Hoss

AC Members
Nov 19, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Visit site
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me if they know any specific species of reptiles that can tolerate a humidity level of approx. 90% and also won't grow too big(Max. 15 cm/6"). It's also a definite plus if they're not too aggressive, and if they won't drown if they were to fall into the water. I'm planning to set up a paludarium with approx 50/50 water/land. Animals i wish to include are fish, mudskippers and maybe some crabs. And some reptiles of course. Hope that someone can help me out here.

Thanx!

Alex

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Dwarf frogs would work well. Just don't get ones that get too big or the clawed ones either as they will end up munching on the fish. Newts and Salamander are great ideas as they are amphibians so the water and land works perfect for them.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Originally posted by Alexander Hoss
I'm planning to set up a paludarium with approx 50/50 water/land. Animals i wish to include are fish, mudskippers and maybe some crabs. And some reptiles of course. Hope that someone can help me out here.
With a water setup like this, it will be a brackish tank. Mudskippers and crabs tend to need salt and be brackish. And with water like this you will not be able to keep any amphibians or reptiles. Now if you did a tropical setup minus the mudskippers and crabs (go with shrimp instead) you could run with any type of small fish. As for reptiles, any anoles, small geckos, small tree frogs (greens are very good in this setup), plus you can add newts or salamanders to these tanks. But remember aquatic animals are messy and add a big waste load, so you will have to get a good filter for this or do timely water changes.

Just send me an email if you have any questions, I have a few books at home that I can recommend to you about this.
Also check out www.kingsnake.com

jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store